Who Will You Save?

Author's note: I was inspired by my friends because all of the characters in the story look exactly like all of...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I was inspired by my friends because all of the characters in the story look exactly like all of my closest friends. My one friend told me to base the main character off of me. She has my personality and looks, but a more exciting life. That's what you get with books.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 Next »

Wow. You Are Soooo Not Funny!

"How did you get here? I thought you were in heaven. You can't be here. What if someone sees you?"
I was blurting out questions like I just saw the answers to a test and couldn't hold them in. I had a right to know why he was in my room though. Well, hospital room. My heart did skip a beat, but that didn't matter. A guy was in my room.
"I said I was your greeter. Here I am, greeting you again. Now, we have business to settle," he said.
"Wait, why aren't you talking all fancy like before?" I asked.
"There's no need to. I only had to do that because the boss would have heard, and I would have been demoted if that makes sense."
He came over and sat on the edge of my bed. I couldn't believe it. A spirit or whatever was in my room. A hot spirit was in my room. My room. I swore I was dreaming until I felt the throbbing in my head again. I decided I would play detective and find out as much as I could about him.
"First, I want to ask you some questions. Were you always a greeter, like were you made for it?"
"No," he answered.
"So you died and then became a greeter?" I asked.
"Yes, I died."
"How?"
"It was a long time ago. A very long time, right around the time of the Constitution. I was cutting wood with my father and when we were finished, I decided to take a walk. I had very little free time and if I did, it was the best time of my life."
"I heard a growl, but I ignored it like any teenage boy would. That was my mistake. A bear came from behind and mauled me. It was an unpleasant situation. When I didn't come back, my father went looking for me. I was dead by the time he got to me. I watched them bury my body," he explained.
He bowed his head and I knew how he felt. To feel like no one is coming and all you can do is lay down and die. It's terrible.
"I'm sorry," I said, "I didn't mean to be nosy like that. I...I don't know."
"It's okay. Now, onto you. How are you feeling? That was a pretty hard whack in the head."
"I'm fine. Just a headache now. I was about to fall asleep," I answered with a little bit of annoyance. I was extremely tired. Ten hours of sleep and hopefully, I would feel brand new. He looked up and stared at me. He was smiling and looked as if he was in complete awe.
"You are beautiful. You remind me of someone. A slave I once knew."
"Gee, thanks. I've always wanted to be compared to a slave. That's my life goal," I said even more annoyed.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. We were dating. Secretly, of course. My parents would have never approved. I did love her," he said, a smile showing in his eyes, "She was very beautiful and smart. She loved reading. She said if she were ever set free, we would run away together to the north. I wanted to be with her forever."
"What was her name?"
"Lilah," Xavier said.
"That's a pretty name. She sounded wonderful."
"Yes. She was indeed. One day, we were talking and she looked at me and grabbed my hand and said 'If I ever leave you, or you ever leave me, we will always know we love each other. 'Til death do us part' she said and I repeated the line," he said.
He said her line with great appreciation, like he needed to worship her. I was starting to feel really crappy about his situation. Here I was, complaining about a head and he's dealing with being dead and losing the love of his life. I felt so conceited.
I got up and moved to the end of the bed to sit by him. I put my hand on his and he looked at me and smiled. He was so gorgeous. I just wanted to put my head on his shoulder and tell him my deepest darkest secrets. He seemed like someone I could trust. The butterflies in my stomach started fluttering around. Then, I felt dizzy. I could sense my body swaying and then everything went dark.
* * *
I awoke the next morning with sunlight streaming in through the window. Xavier was sitting on the window sill looking more handsome than Hercules. I sat up and let out a sigh. My head still hurt but not as bad as before.
"Good morning," I said with a yawn.
"You're finally awake. Your mother is here. She went to get coffee and your...your boyfriend is coming soon," he said while looking down.
I had a strange feeling he was going to say another word than boyfriend. He seemed a little angry now, like Greg was his arch enemy.
I was about to ask him why he had paused when my mom walked in. She looked different. She didn't look tired or beat down and her face was glowing. Her long black hair was tied back in a ponytail, she was smiling, and there was no scent of alcohol. She was my old mom. The one who told me stories when I was little and hugged me if I had a nightmare.
"Oh good. You're awake. I got you some juice if you want it," she said, setting down the cup, "Are you feeling okay? Does your head hurt? I was so scared for you, honey. I never wanted to see you in that situation. I should have talked to you more and done more for you. I'm a worthless mother," she complained.
"Mom, no you aren't. You're my mother and I love you. You are not worthless."
"I just wish I had been there. What exactly happened anyway?"
"I forgot my purse and had to walk back to my locker. I told Greg to go without me, but he refused so I told him I would call him when I got home. While I was walking, I dropped my books and was trying to pick up my papers before they blew away. I tripped over a log I think and fell down a slope. I hit my head and that's all I remember," I explained.
I couldn't tell her about the meadow and the people. She would put me in an asylum.
"Oh, sweetheart, that's terrible," she said as she stood up, "Greg should be here soon. I have to go shopping and I'll be back later. Love you."
She walked over and kissed my cheek and swept out the door. It was nice to see her like her old self. I missed it. Maybe she will start making her homemade double chocolate chip cookies again.
I forgot Xavier was still in the room until I turned my head and saw him standing over me.
"We have to talk," he said in a serious tone.
"Okay. Let's talk."
"I think you're the reincarnation of Lilah."

emilybwrites said...
great job! please check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment/rate :)

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 5:48 pm:
very unique  great story  please check out and comment on my story Manso's Shame  it's pretty short so it wont take long to read  i would really appreciate any feedback at all

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 30, 2011 at 12:26 am:

This is very unique! I can't wait until you complete it!

There are a few minor errors that can be corrected, though (guardian is not spelled with a "q").

Please read and comment on my novel SuperNOVA. Thanks :D

Lex2011 replied...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 5:42 am :
yea. its like being stupid. i have it spelled right but it cuts off the bottom of the "g"

Emmadilemma said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 10:21 am:
wow!! first sentence completely captured me in. Great plot and great job!!!

Lex2011 replied...
Jan. 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm :
thanks a lot. i've been writing this since june and i may add more. i