Who Will You Save?

Author's note: I was inspired by my friends because all of the characters in the story look exactly like all of...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I was inspired by my friends because all of the characters in the story look exactly like all of my closest friends. My one friend told me to base the main character off of me. She has my personality and looks, but a more exciting life. That's what you get with books.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 Next »

The End of the Beginning

Sadie...

It wasn't until I saw the meadow that I realized I was dead. I thought I was dreaming. It was too bright and the sky was too blue. It was the middle of winter. Nothing could be this beautiful, at least in my opinion. Then I saw the people. Well, they looked like people but their skin was translucent and they could not talk. They looked at me as if I was a creature from a new planet coming to greet them. Then I saw him. He was the most beautiful creature I have ever seen in my entire life but before I get to him, I might want to tell you my story.
I went through my usual day at Ramington High or as I like to call it, "Lame-ington High." Nothing exciting ever happens in southwestern Pennsylvania. The only excitement is the FFA talking about the Farm Show. Anyway, I was putting my books in my locker when a voice came from behind me.
"Ms. Embers, you have the right to remain silent," commanded the voice.
"Are you going to arrest me?" I said while turning around.
I knew that deep masculine voice from a mile away. It was Greg Brooks. My boyfriend of officially a year since Thursday. He looked the way he usually did; midnight black hair, a straight nose, strong chin, and, according to every girl in the school, the juiciest blue eyes in the school along with the juiciest abs.
"Are you coming over tonight?" he asked giving me his questioning eyebrow.
"You should already know I am. Five, right?"
"Yeah. I'll order pizza if you want."
"Sure," I said.
He took my hand and we started walking down the hall when I realized I left my purse near my locker.
"Um, I have to go get my purse. You can go. I can walk home. I'll call you when I get there so you know I'm home," I said attempting to sound nonchalant.
There are two things I absolutely hate, walking in the snow and Lana McKinders a.k.a. The Perfect Woman.
"I can wait. You aren't walking in the snow. It's too cold and there is, like, eight inches of it."
"No. No. Go ahead. I'll just call you."
"Ok. Be careful," Greg said.
He leaned down to kiss me. I kept my eyes closed for a second to take in his scent and kiss.
As I walked down the hallway, I thought of everything. My mother never talking to me or listening to my problems. My father abandoning us when I was three years old. The first time I rode a bike and fell off and hearing a little boy's voice saying, "Are you ok?" and looking up and seeing his big blue eyes and warm smile.
I found my purse sitting neatly against my locker and picked it up. I started down the hallway again. I looked out the window and saw it was lightly snowing. How could something so delicate and fragile be so deadly and cold, I asked myself.
I exited the front doors and began the trek home. It seems so much longer in the winter, like a mirage. It looks so close but keeps getting farther away.
I was about halfway home when I dropped my books. Papers blew everywhere, my sparkly pens fell in the snow, and my notes from Taylor were spread throughout the blinding snow.
I ran to grab the last paper, but my foot tripped over a log. I went tumbling down a steep slope and into an old car. I smacked my head on the door and I could already feel the blood trickling down the back of my head. It wasn't like in the movies when people hit their heads and they constantly feel agonizing pain. It was more like a numbing pain. I could sense the throbbing but the wound felt completely numb. I was shocked that I didn't pass out like a loser.
"I'm going to die. Oh God, I'm going to die," I kept repeating to myself.
I was losing a lot of blood and I felt colder. I began convusively shivering. My whole body was becoming a rag doll. I couldn't feel my legs but I knew there was something I had to do. I reached into my purse and grabbed my phone. I pressed the speed dial for Greg. The phone rang twice before I heard a husky voice answer.
"Help...Cold...Help please," I said, my words barely above a whisper.
"Sadie? Sades, is that you? Where are you? What are you doing?" he asked.
"Woods...In the woods."
"The woods? I'm coming baby. Hang in there. Please Sadie, stay still," he said trying to sound comforting but failing miserably. I could hear the worry in his voice. I knew he was scared. Scared for me, scared for our relationship, scared for my life.
I was almost unconcious when I felt arms supporting me. I knew it was Greg but it wasn't the Greg I recognized. This Greg looked weak and worn down, like he had been running a marathon.
"I'm here. I called an ambulance. It's going to be okay. You're going to be fine."
"Sleepy...Mama? Sleep now?" I asked.
"No. No, don't sleep. You can't sleep, sweetheart. Just stay still."
My body felt like it was being crushed by a million boulders. Everything began to fade away. First, I knew my eyes had closed. I could still hear Greg talking to me. Then, my sense of touch went away.
"Sadie? Sadie, can you hear me? God, Sades, please answer me," Greg was saying frantically.
Finally, I couldn't hear anything. Not his voice telling me to "hang in there," or the dog that was barking in the distance or the cracking of the branches as the snow weighted on them. Everything was completely silent. Then, I felt a tug. It was subtle but noticeable. Suddenly, another tug and another until I was gently being lifted.
I looked down and saw Greg with a girl. She had dark chocolate brown hair and light brown skin. She had blood smeared across her cheek. It was me. That was me, lying in the snow looking peaceful and tranquil while a boy held my lifeless body and cried. I was dead. Sadie Embers was dead. The quiet girl who thought she would never see the day of dating the most handsome boy in school or be voted prettiest eyes. That Sadie was dead. The new Sadie was a ghost, a see-through image. Nothing but imagination.

emilybwrites said...
great job! please check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment/rate :)

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 5:48 pm:
very unique  great story  please check out and comment on my story Manso's Shame  it's pretty short so it wont take long to read  i would really appreciate any feedback at all

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 30, 2011 at 12:26 am:

This is very unique! I can't wait until you complete it!

There are a few minor errors that can be corrected, though (guardian is not spelled with a "q").

Please read and comment on my novel SuperNOVA. Thanks :D

Lex2011 replied...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 5:42 am :
yea. its like being stupid. i have it spelled right but it cuts off the bottom of the "g"

Emmadilemma said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 10:21 am:
wow!! first sentence completely captured me in. Great plot and great job!!!

Lex2011 replied...
Jan. 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm :
thanks a lot. i've been writing this since june and i may add more. i