Nightmare Hood

Chapters:   1 2 Next »

She was almost gone

It was wet and rainy, in another word, the usual. Wherever you went the island was quiet, too quiet. There was nothing, no screams, no cries of pain, nothing. Yet something slinked around the corners, hid in the shadows and muffled the screams. From the looks of it, it was a dog, a black dog. For the dog, if you could even call it one, was known all over the island.
Its name was Alvy. She was filled to the brim with dark powers. Whenever she felt like it, she would find herself human, and rather pretty one at that. The inhabitants of the island referred to her a Nightmare Hood. With a black dress and long silky black hair topped with a golden crown, she was by far the fairest of them all.
Atop her shoulders, was her most prized possession, a cape made of pure nightmares. For if you looked at it, you would be paralyzed with fear. Although it had no effect on Alvy, or so she said.
Although Alvy walked the streets all the time, today was different. Once a year, not being totally heartless, she let the Island relax and celebrate. On this day, she undid all curses, spells, and enchantments of all kind, they called it Freedom Day. The Islanders, she called them minors, were allowed to swim, run, jump and play! Well, they did. One year on Freedom Day, a long time ago, and a simple word was said to Alvy. That word changed everything!
          Alvy walked down the street that day with a destination in mind, a crummy, broken down old shack at the end Cona Street. Nothing more than weeds and dead grass in the front yard.  Yet, Alvy had been to this house more times than any other house on the island.
The steps creaked as Alvy walked up them. Nothing moved inside the house, the inhabitants were frozen. Alvy stood on the porch staring at the door, she only visited once a year because of the pain. The memories of this little shack were great and scarred her deeply.
She knocked once, nothing. She knocked again, nothing. “Open or be no more” she called. The door clicked and slowly opened. Alvy sauntered in and looked around. “What a pathetic little hut,” she said. Two small beds were pushed up into the corner and a small table and chairs were next to the wall. A dirty rug was underneath a tree. The tree itself was small and had barely any green, it was decorated with pinecones wrapped with scraps of fabric.
On one bed sat a small girl, with golden curls and big green eyes. Alvy and the child looked at each other. The bond between them was greater than anybody could ever know. Alvy closed her eyes and looked towards the other bed. In it laid a woman. The woman looked nothing like the girl. She had the same large green eyes, but her face was pale and white.  She was dead.

Chapters:   1 2 Next »