Mountain Hunters | Teen Ink

Mountain Hunters

By SparkDevil, Easley, South Carolina
SparkDevil, Easley, South Carolina

Author's note:

this is only part of my story looking for opinions please 

“Should have worn my coat. My toes are freezing off ”. I looked down at my wrist looking at

my locator. The green dot steadily moved across a the fluorescent blue grid.

“ He should be here somewhere.”  The blizzard grew stronger making me shiver. I adjusted my

windshield-like goggles on my nose.   I searched the area focusing on every shadow that was in

sight in the blizzard. Then a vibration gave way at my feet shivering violently. I looked down the

cliff face in front of me, scanning for my enemy. My locator's sonar beeped,  signalling the arrival

of the colossus. I again looked down as the cliff side gave way to a large, grassy fist bursting

from its rocky surface.

“Hello beautiful!” I screamed over the blizzard. I jumped off the cliff face rapidly gaining speed

as i fell towards the monster.The icy snow struck my barren arms like bullets.

“Ouchy..” I said,  immediately regaining my focus on the giant stone being. I drew my tarnished

black swords from their leather holsters, readying them at my sides. I fell on  its back impacting

its shoulder like a meteor. I quickly dug my blades into the grass covered rock of its back. It gave

a low moan of pain and then attempted to shake me off.

“ WOAH!” I said as i struggled to stay balanced on the behemoth’s shoulder, slowly climbing to

his neck. It continued to walk as if forgetting I was there, allowing me to board the giant’s stone

head. I placed one of my two blades back in their leather hip sheaths. I prepared  the other in my

hand firmly, grasping the grassy surface of its head between my fingers waiting for my time to

strike. Then appearing upon its large head a bright symbol appeared.

“ There,” I said as i thrust my sword into its skull. This time it screeched a scream

of pain like none I’d ever heard. It then proceeded to swing its head and swat at me as if i were a

mosquito.I swiftly pulled the black, tainted metal from its scalp, releasing black blood from the

wound. I again drove my blade into its stone hard head. This time the beast steadily dropped like

a falling tree. I hung on feeling a rush of adrenaline as the beast tipped over.

“Timber,” left my lips as the beast struck the earth. I leaped from its head retrieving the

crystalline  stone from its face.  Speaking to myself I said,

“ All in a day's work,”  as i rolled the new found jewel in my fingers. I placed the gem in the satchel

on my thigh. Pulling my shoes on further,  stepped away from the monster. I lifted my hand

saying the phrase for demon hunters

” Like the winds travel, between worlds fly, and like an angel to the other side” . On the ground

bright runes appeared near my feet. They began to glow like fire melting the snow surrounding

them. Hovering above the runes a floating black mass swirled in front of me. I stepped through,

feeling immediately warmer as the room’s heater kept the room warm.I closed the portal

behind, me simultaneously pulling my wet boots and snow-filled clothe off. I crept over to my

bed, feeling my eyelids begin to droop from a day of hard labor. I pulled my quilt over me as the

arms of sleep grasp, me pulling me towards my inner thoughts. 

My alarm went off, dragging  me from an ethereal world of forgotten dreams.I tapped it as if

silencing a small, screaming kitten. I sat up yawning, shrugging off sleep for a new day. “ I need

some coffee,” I said stepping out of bed and feeling the coolness of the floor freeze my already

warmed feet. I stumbled downstairs in search of my daily dose of caffeine. Walking into the

Kitchen, stepped over to the coffee maker. I reached up drawing out a red can of Folgers.

It began to brew feeling my nostrils with a beautiful morning coffee brew.

“Ahh “ I said as i took a sip of the coffee, looking at the time i spoke.

“Should hurry can’t miss the first day of school”. I began to ready myself for my first day at

school. I then finished my prepping for my first day on a new battlefield.

My name is Raven. I live in the secluded mountain of Ehji in a human controlled realm near

Earth.  I am what nowadays people called mountain hunters. Mountain hunters are

brave souls who travel the Realms Of Oudon. In these lands beasts of many shapes and

sizes wander. Here these beasts bear charms of many shapes, treasures no human thought

had ever existed till 2024. This was the finding of one of many gates known as the

Game master’s gateways . Groups of gifted treasure hunters began traveling through these

gates, encountering beast called Yama meaning mountain. These people were given the name

Mountain hunters. These people formed large schools specifically for aspiring treasure hunters .

These schools were Valor, Tokat, and Savot. But these schools were for only skilled hunters.

Their order is Valor which is for the most prestige. Next, is Tokat and then the Savot.

I stepped onto Tokat school grounds knowing full well what they would teach. The school

seemed barren. There was no sight of any student.

“Class must be in session”. I grumbled as i opened the door to my class.

“ Class, this is our new student Raven Amukamara.” I looked into the twenty seven unfamiliar

faces. I faced them and bowed quickly then stood.

“ Pleasure” i said as i began to walk to my seat. The many strange eyes also followed me as if

they were starved hawks ready to swoop for a kill. I sat down, lying my bag on the floor. A gentle

hand tapped my shoulder.

“ I’m Kokoro” she said in a faint shy voice.

“Nice to meet you” i said turning to fit a face with a voice. Turning to see a beautiful petite face. A

girl with bright blue eyes and light blue hair to match. She showed signs of a slight but then it

would be taken by the flare of shyness. Class started and my new battlefield commenced.

The teacher began to write on the board quickly a list of ideas unknown to me.

“ In your previous  school years you have learn why and what is the purpose of mountain

hunters.Who would like to tell us?’ The teacher said then tentatively pointing her finger landing

on the girl next to me.

“ You there tell the rest of the class”. The girl looked up immediately reciting information learned

from past years.

“ Mountain hunters purpose is to explore the Realms of Oudon, retrieving precious treasures

known as Artifacts which hold unknown abilities from the monsters called Leviathans.”

“Correct, now that we all are reminded of our purpose class will continue.”

I gazed down to the training grounds below the window near my desk. This brought back

memories from when i was with my master in combat training.

I swung at the training stone in front of me my fingers burning from pain i continued to punch the

rock.I stopped when a painful pop sounded from my finger. My eyes teared up and i looked to

my master for help.

“Master my hand “ I said holding my pained hand closer to my mentor.

“ A hunter never stops no matter what. He follow through to the end at all even broken bones

. Above all a hunter never leaves a Artifact.” This line repeats in my head but then is taken by

dread. Master Yui stands before me burned and scarred from the foe in front of . Around us

lie dead villagers who fell to the wrath of the fiery leviathan.I looked up the beast cackled leaving

me with my dying mentor.

“ Raven .. take Aina.” Master Yui said between coughs of  blood. I reached out with the arm that

wasn’t taken by the battle.

“ Master no you can’t you have to live.” I said pulling my hand back and pressing on my gushing

wound.

“ You have too.” As he he said this he stabbed what was a ring but now had turned into small red

thorn into my wounded shoulder. In a burst of green fire an arm began to form from which once

had been. In my arms master Yui spoke his final words.

“Remember i’ll.. always ..cough..be with you.” he said his hands grip on my shoulder and slowly

loosened falling into the soil at my knees. My eyes flood with tears as i looked down at my

master’s lifeless body.Thunder sounded and a downpour of rain fell from the sky like angels who

started to cry for my mentor. I looked to and screamed to the heavens with the sadness oozing

from my heart.

This memory brought back the sadness of that sad day. I faced to the front rubbing my left

shoulder my eyes tearing . The teacher tapped on the lit screen in front of us catching our

attention.

“ Next class we will commence the annual rookie artifact retrieval test.So be ready people.”

One of the curious students asked

“What is this test anyway?” The boy said fidgeting in his sit.

“ This test is to see your mental combat abilities or rather how you’ll do facing your fears.  A

specific artifact is chosen for you if can’t beat it then the price is your life. So remember  this is

no laughing matter. “
She gazed out at the class with an intensely serious face. She then took a breath and continued.

“ But try not to worry that much you will be in teams of two. You will team up but each person

defeats their own and then if help is needed aids his or her partner.”

“Got it” she said smiling at me.

“Yes” the class said in a large symphony of voices.

“ Choose your partner wisely” The teacher said raising an eyebrow  to Kokoro.

The teacher walked out leaving to decide our battle partner for tomorrow.

I turned around to Kokoro patrolling the area for anyone might want her to be their partner.

“Kokoro, anyone going to be your partner?” I said again scanning the area for any people coming

to her.

“No I’m free” she said doing that same shy covered smile towards me.

“ Then I’ll be your partner” i said nodding to her with almost genuine smile. The bell sounded and

me and Kokoro parted ways.

I looked down as i walked home, suddenly regretting the decision i had made in class.

“ I’ve got to beat my fear before it can harm Kokoro” I walked to my door readying to unlock the

door and then noticing it had been opened. I positioned my house key in my fingers as a weapon

for any trespassers. I pushed the door open slowly creeping in. Walking in i silently shut the door

behind me. I heard movement in the living room. I came down the hallway heading to room

peeking in quietly. On the couch a girl with silvery hair and glittering translucent wings was lying

down . Covering her were an array of scars and recently healed wounds. I stepped to her still

cautious of her. I tapped her shoulder gently in hopes not to startle her.

“ Wake up” I said as i shook her more. She finally woke up jumping off the couch in a hurried

Escape. I put my hands up trying not to seem threatening to her.

“Who are you?” I said revealing my arm that had been replaced, its black scaled skin appeared

from my sleeve. On it a small, crimson star shined, bringing fear to the young girl’s now wide

awake eyes.

“ That's the mark of the Four Angels, the star of Rephael the guardian angel of the west wind.

How do you have one of their artifacts? The four angels are dead and their artifacts were

destroyed with them.”

I looked down rubbing my arm and began remembering some of my past i had forced myself to

forget.

“ Wait, before you try and figure out my past. I want you to tell me who you are and why are you

here.”  I said looking at her with a stern stare. She sighed brushing off dust from her skirt.

“ I’m a fairy, bread to serve the angels of the four corners to aid in  locating colossus” she said

crossing her arms.

“ I came here sensing the the wielder of the angel of the west wind, but found his surviving

student instead.”  

I looked up and smiled, giving her a nod of agreement.

“That’s me,” i said walking to the stairs to my room to drop my things down.

She joyfully followed, doing small skips as she stepped up the stairs behind me.

“Why do you have one of the greatest mountain hunters weapon anyway?” She said as i opened

the door to my room.

“Long story that i don’t plan on explaining.” I said yawning as i placed my bag down.
“ I won’t tell you anything you still haven’t answered any of mine.” I spoke turning to her with an

impatient look on my face.

She gave a sigh and sat on the bed as though the story would be a long one.

“Okay, i’ll start from the beginning of my life story. I’m Hoshi Michiko, I’m a locator fairy from the

Realm of October.  It’s one of the first realms discovered by mountain hunters. I am here on a

mission to locate a certain person who controls one of the powers of the Four Angels, artifacts

that were said to be one of the powers of god. They are supposed to  aid in defeating the

colossus of the neighboring realms which are flooded with their rule.”  She then took another

deep breath looking at me to see what i would say.

I sighed putting my hands on my hips, still questioning if what she said were true or just a lie.

“Is that so.. I said looking at the digital clock on my dresser and scratching my head.

“ Well i have school tomorrow so i’m going to bed.” I said drawing a small futon from my closet.

“You take the bed i’ll take the floor so go to bed.” I said as she looked at me grinning and hopping

on the bed. When she finally laid down i shut the light off. Hoshi began a series of blanket muffled

laughs.

“ What is so funny,” i whispered rolling over and looking up at her. Hoshi smiled down at me with

a silvery stare that could only be unique to her.

“ This is the first time i’ve slept in the same room as a boy that wasn’t my brother.” She said

giggling again. I looked up and smiled whispering back,

“ What of it?” She rolled over and buried her face in her pillow whispering something i couldn’t

hear. She then got quiet and her breathing slowed down.

“She’s asleep..”  I too began to fall asleep my eyes shutting and thoughts began to clear.

I stood scratching my bed head and yawning. I turned looking at Hoshi. She was still asleep

on my bed clenching a pillow to her chest drooling.

“I won’t wake her, i have a shower to take.” I said taking my school uniform from my drawer. I

turned on the tub’s hot water and waited for it to warm up. Iran my hand under the stream of

steaming water exiting the spicot.

“ Today's the day i take a stand and face my past , for his sake...’   I said as i trailed off into a

deep train of thought.

“What are you doing?” Hoshi’s voice drilled into my thoughts scaring me to the point i slipped on

the edge of the tub falling in the hot water.

“Oww..” i said rubbing my head which had hit the tub bottom.

“ Are you alright Raven?” Hoshi’s said stepping over to me with concern.

“ I’m alright,” I said, pulling myself out of the tub quickly.

“ Go down stairs and wait for me ill be down in a bit to make breakfast,” I spoke shivering.

“Ok..” She said as she walked out and continued downstairs. I shut the door behind her sighing.

“ Dang that scared me half to death,” i spoke walking back to the tub holding my hand to my

chest hoping to slow down my frightened self. I then got ready to finally take my shower.

I was about to walk out the door when Hoshi tugged my shirt.

“What? “ I said stopping at the sidewalk. She stepped out towards me quickly, looking around.

She leaned in and whispered to me.

“ I’m going with  you,” I looked at her with an expression of disagreement.

“ Why, i have things to do,” I said tapping my foot on the pavement impatiently. She stepped even

closer to me so close i could smell the cinnamon scented perfume she wore.

“ i’m getting a chill like something bad is near,” Hoshi said looking around for an unseen force.

“ Don’t worry i’ll hide in your pocket,” she said and immediately shrank down and dove into my

chest pocket. She poked her head out and looked up with her small concerned eyes. I couldn’t

help letting out a small laugh at the small Hoshi that now sat in my pocket.

“What?” She said tapping her small fist on my chest.

“ Oh nothing,” i said stepping out of my yards fence back for another day at school.

“ Might go on another hunt later,” i spoke as my home left my sight.

The announcements rang out from the intercom , telling the order of the teams for the test.

“First team, Yuuki Akane and Ami Chou, Second team Raven Amukamara and Kokoro Etsuko..”

The announcements continued down the list names for the tournament. I stood in the waiting

room for Team B.

“Wonder where Kokoro is the test starts soon,” I said as Hoshi un tucked herself from my

hunting uniform.

“ She might still be getting ready,” Hoshi said shoving a cracker that was larger than herself into

her fairy mouth.

“ Why, you worried she might not make it past the test,” she said through a mouthful of crumbs.

“ Don’t know,” i said as i pondered the idea of worrying for someone other than me or my

master.  

“ Raven,” Kokoro spoke suddenly, entering the room so quietly i nearly died of fright.

“Woah when did  you get here?” I said i picked myself up from where i had fallen.

My thoughts seem to scatter when I caught sight of her in her hunting uniform. A lightweight pink

Colored leather suit with a small knee high skirt. She looked away hiding her blushing face.

“ What is there something wrong with my uniform,” She said looking at me with a bright red face.

“ No not at all i just think it looks cute on you that's all.” I said rubbing the back of my head

nervously. Then all of a sudden a sharp pain came from my chest.

“ Don’t bite that!” I said pulling my shirt where a certain someone had bit my chest. She

continued to bite harder at my chest and then suddenly caught my nipple.

“ Stinken Sargento’s cheese that hurts!” I said swatting my chest. I hurried and turned around,

pulling  a dazed Hoshi from my pocket.

“ What was that for,” I said poking her, she then woke and chomped down on my vulnerable 

finger.

“ What in the seven unholy hell are you doing?” I said as i shook my finger in an attempt to get

the angry Hoshi off my pained finger.

“What is wrong?” Kokoro said stepping forward to help.

“Ohh nothing hahaha,” I said  laughing in a pained sarcastic way. A loud beep sounded, signaling

the start of the first match. I focused on the large projected screen on the wall.

The broadcaster came on screen, it was a small, slender, pink haired girl from Tokat’s

newspaper committee.

“ All attendees of this year's First hunt tournament please report to your rooms and get ready,”

spoke the girl into the mic. Then a loud blaring sound echoed around the stadium. Red lights

flashed around blinding those near them.

“ Blast shields are rising please step away,” said the AI in control of the crowd safety doors.

Some of the crowd stepped away from the gates in a hurry to be behind its safety.

“ See that ladies and gentlemen, if the automated safety goes up you know this will be one hectic

tournament,” the pink haired girl in the commentator's stand said in a breath of excitement.

I watched from the safety of my waiting room with Kokoro staring at the screen in hopes to catch

a small glimpse of the kind of enemy we will be facing.

“ For our first round we have the astounding duo Yuuki Akane aka the lightning witch and her

trusty comrade. Nicknamed The crusader Mr. Ami Chou,” she screamed seeming to burst with

excitement.  The crowd roared along with her  as the two young teens stepped out onto the

environment manipulation platform ready to face their foe.

The programmers changed the environment to match the selected beast for the two hunters The

surface of the field shifted and warped and then within moments revealed a jungle floor wrapped

in vines and humid climate plants from that ecosystem.

“ Our first contestants will battle the serpent of the jungle  the snake colossus Madusa,”

The two kids repositioned their feet as a loud dragging sound came from the bushes near the girl

and then went silent. The boy stepped to the bush ready to swing his weapon at it. The two

twirled in circles hoping to cover themselves from all angles. Then shattering the silence a large

serpent dove from the trees above them. They both rolled in opposite directions but only one

avoided the attack. The snake's fangs struck the girl's back. She laid there on the ground the

snake's venom  now coursing through her veins.

“Yuuki,’ the boy screamed running to his friend avoiding the serpents attacks. He made it to her

lift her up and tried to run.  The serpent dove again but this time caught the girl’s ankle yanking

her from her friends grasp.
“Yuuki no “ in one swift movement the snake devoured her leaving her shoe. The crowd

screamed in fear as they watched an innocent girl lose her adolescent life. Form my stand i sat

in fear as a girl i had known since preschool died in front of me. Kokoro sat behind me pouting

“ Oh god why ..” she said before breaking down in tears. Hoshi poked her head from my pocket

“There is no room for failure or you will truly be paying in blood, the match bell rang the AI called

out.

“Objective failed match over “ the environment faded and the boy sat looking down at the

bloodied shoe of his comrade. The medics walked to him carrying him off the field in a stretcher. 

The field commentator spoke into her mic issuing the next set of instructions.

“Team two please report to to emp doors immediately,” she said as me and Kokoro grabbed our

weapons and headed for the battle dome. We were well aware of what kind of hell awaited us.