The Luminary

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next »

Chapter 4

Nothing.
Lu couldn't feel anything
She couldn't see anything.
There was... Nothing.
It was this way until her head started tingling, then as time went on it started hurting more and more. She reached for her throbbing head. She felt warm, sticky blood pouring out of a gash on her forehead. Her vision was still darkened, but her memory was started to come back.
She remembered getting on a train with Alis. She remembered a boy named Lore. And she remembered

This is all I have at the moment, but I'll update as soon as I have more. :)

some crazy girl with a knife. But what happened after that? She didn't know.
Slowly, in small, fuzzy bits and pieces, her vision began returning. She shook her head, hoping that would give her a clearer image, but it didn't. All she could see now was blue.
Time went on, and she realized this blue color was textured. She reached forward, and her hand was greeted by one of the cotton seats. Despite her current condition, a faint grin appeared on her face, but only lasted a second.
Alis.
Where was she?
After jerking her head to the left, she found her answer. Alis was bent over in her seat, unmoving. Lu went to reach for her, but something prevented her from moving. Looking down at her lap, realization struck her.
They must've crashed. That was the only reasonable explanation. She took a moment to appretiate the fact that she and Alis had been buckled in, before unbuckling herself and crouching down in front of Alis.
"Alis, baby are you okay?" Lu clasped Alis's cheeks between her hands,"Please wake up."
She started moving, twitching really, but this gave Lu what she'd been looking for. She was alive.
"Good, now let's get out of here." Lu unbelted her sister, and lifted her into the air before tossing her over her shoulder. She stumbled into the isle and started down it. Bodies decorated the cart, drenched in their own blood as well as other peoples. She couldn't help but cringe at the thought of that being her or Alis. Maybe it was a good thing Alis was unconcious- she didn't have to see any of this.
Her head was still throbbing, but she was determined to get Alis out. What if the train caught fire? She wanted to get out before anything like that happened. Surprisingly, the power on the cart was still on, but she knew it was only a matter of time before that cut off. After all, she didn't know how long they'd been in there- they could've crashed days ago.
Reaching the door, she pushed it open, and in doing so, a body fell out. It's face was dismantled, but she recognized it from the clothes she was wearing. It was the girl that attacked her.
Respect the dead she was always told, but tonight, she didn't care. She kicked the body down the stairs that lead to the ground, and followed slowly afterwards. To her dismay, the moon was still high in the sky, meaning the night was still young.
The wind nipped at her bareskin, sending a shiver down her spine. They were in for a cold night. She glanced down at the girls body, tilting her head slightly.
A moment later she was off again, wearing a warm, brown leather jacket and matching winter boots.
"Hey! You there!" A voice called from behind her. She stopped abruptly, and turned around to see who it was calling her. Lu presumed it was another survivor.
"Hey, are you okay?" she noticed a figure running towards her. A man.
"I'm fine, my sister's unconscious though."
"We have a camp right over there." the man pointed from the direction he'd come running from,"Good thing I caught you. Here, do you want me to take her?" he asked, refering to the girl slung over Lu's shoulders.
"No, thanks though." she had just meant the guy and didn't trust him just yet.
"Alright, just follow me." he didn't seem offended at all. The man turned around and lead them back through the trees and into a large cave tucked into the side of a mountain.
"I've got two more!" he announced upon entering.
Warmth and light raditated out of the cave as Lu stepped in. In the center was a huge fire, and around it, several people sat warming themselves. They all looked up as the three arrived, but only a few of them got up to help.
"Lu!" she heard a familiar voice,"You're okay!"
It was Lore.
Guilt bore down on her when she remembered him for the first time that night. She hadn't stopped to check if he was still in the cart, or if he was even alive.
But then, she realized, neither had he, and any previous guilt was washed away.
He rushed towards her and wrapped his arms around her,"I thought I'd never see you again."
"Yeah, good to see you to." Lu gave it a few seconds, but eventually lightly pushed him away from her,"Anybody here know anything about medicine, or nursing, or anything along those lines?" she called out, looking around the cave for any nods, but unforetunately, everybody was shaking heads.
"Everyone here is just as useless as I'm sure you are." a girl about her age was walking towards her. She stood several inches above Lu, and her thick brown hair hit the middle of her back. She had a rough look to her. She wore mostly black- a black leather jacket, combat boots, and black leggings. The only thing that differed was the purple tank she wore, but even that was dark and dreary.
"I'm sorry?" Lu asked, despite having heard her loud and clear. It was more a dare. A dare for her to repeat herself.
"Alright ladies, that's enough. Be, leave the new girl alone." it was a man speaking this time. It was strange how similar the two looked. They had the same rectangular face structure, the same brown eyes.
"Come on, Ian. You know I was kidding." Be shrugged, trying to look innocent and cute, but failed miserably.
Ian shot a side glare her way before he spoke to Lu,"Put her down by the fire. Don't want her to wake up freezing like the rest of us did."
Lu carefully lowered Alis to the ground, close enough to the fire where she could feel the heat, but far enough away that it wasn't dangerous. Ian left for a few moments, and returned with hat filled with water. He dipped a piece of fabric into it, and pressed it against the gash on Lu's forehead. At first it stung a bit, making her flinch, but after a while it started feeling nice.
"Your name's Lu, isn't it?" Ian asked, dabbing the clothe in the water before returning it to her forehead.
"Yeah, and this is Alis."
"Sisters?"
"That's right."
"Be and I are twins." Ian explained,"I'm sure you figured that much out yourself though."
Lu nodded. She'd figured they were siblings, but it hadn't accured to her that they may be twins, even though basically everything about them was identical. They had the same thick brown hair, they even dressed the same. Ian wore black combat boots and a black teeshirt. He wasn't wearing black leggings, but he was wearing dark colored jeans. He even wore a jacket the same purple color as Be's tank top had been.
"My name's Arian by the way. Be calls me Ian, just like I call her Be. Her real name's Bear."
"Bear? As in the animal?"
"Yeah I know, it's weird. That's why I call her Be. I'd suggest you do the same."
Lu opened her mouth to reply, but Alis suddenly started moving, and all her attention was immediately directed towards her. Arian dropped the cloth in the water, and went to return it to it's original owner.
"Alis?" Lu placed her hand on her arm.
"Lu." Alis mumbled, her eyes still closed,"Where am I?"
"The train crashed. You were knocked unconcious, so I carried you to a cave."
The girls eyes shot open. She grabbed Lu's arm, distress shown clearly in her eyes,"Did everybody survive?"
That was just like her, Lu thought, putting others before herself,"Don't worry about. All that matters is you getting better."
"I am better." Alis pushed herself into a sitting position,"Did everybody survive?"
"No, Alis. The train crashed. Barely anybody made it out."
Alis closed her eyes. She didn't reply. She couldn't stop thinking about all those people. All those children. Many they had past on their way to the front of the train were younger than she was- much younger. Just thinking about it hurt her.
"I'm sorry Alis, there was nothing anybody could do." Lu said in hopes of comforting her even a little bit, but it was clear nothing anyone could say would make her feel any better.
Lu looked away from Alis, leaving her alone to grieve the losses of those she didn't even know, to study their surroundings. In total, there were ten people including the two of them, huddled inside the cave. There wasn't much in terms of supplies. In the corner she saw a cooler, which she presumed was filled with food from the train. She remembered the snack cart, and wondered if they had stumbled across that.
After scanning the cave several times, she came to the conclusion that it was still inside the train. There was probably medicine there as well, and other things that might come in handy. It hadn't crossed her mind until then, but they were actually dealing with a life or death situation.
Nobody was coming for them, in fact, the likelyhood of anyone knowing they crashed in the first place was slim to none. They were stranded in the middle of winter, miles away from their destination.
She'd been so lost in her thoughts, she hadn't noticed Arian approach her.
"Lu," she jumped as he spoke,"we're having a meeting if you wanna come."
"Yeah, I'll be there." Lu got up to follow Arian after glancing back at Alis. She hadn't moved at all, and Lu didn't think she was ready to be disturbed.
The two made there way towards the end of the cave, where there was enough room for all nine of them to sit comfortably. Lore joined them shortly after, followed by Be, until eventually everyone was gathering in a neat circle.
"Guys, we're in a not so good situation." Arian began,"In case anybody hasn't noticed, we're in the middle of nowhere, and the village we were headed towards is miles away. We had ten hours left in the train, so walking... That would take us days, weeks, maybe even months depending on how fast we can go."
He stopped. Looking around to see everyone nodding their heads, he continued,"At first light we'll be stripping the train- taking anything of use and packing it up. Then, once we're able, we'll continue to the village on foot."
"Yeah? And what if we don't want to?" someone challenged, and looking to see who it was, Lu was surprised to see it was the man who had brought them to the cave in the first place.
Taking a better look at him however, he did look like the type to challenge things. He wore camoflouge pants with a black tank top, and a forest green jacket. His hair was brown, but if it weren't for the fire's light reflecting off of it, she would never have known that. It was shortened to a buzz which was hardely visible at all.
"Those that don't want to come, can stay here and freeze to death." Arian replied calmly, but deep down he hated the fact that he was questioned,"Lore says we're about 500 miles away. We can get there in 10 days if we travel for 12 hours every day."
"And that's if we don't run into any problems along the way." Lore added, pushing his glasses up,"Rememeber, we haven't reached Canada yet, so we have to be careful to avoid beaches."
"Yes, thank you Lore." Arian said sarcastically,"We'll walk wide circles around any beaches."
After nobody had spoken for a while, Arian said,"Anymore objections?" he asked. Everybody shook their heads in reply,"Then everyone needs to get a good nights rest. I'll take first watch, and I'll wake you, DH when it's your turn."
"You're only choosing me cause I don't like your plan." DH said angrily,"Why can't Cuser take second watch?"
"Because Cuser is taking third watch." Arian countered,"Anything else you'd like to say?"
DH muttered something under his breathe, and was the first to break the circle they had formed. He splawed himself in front of the fire, and soon, everyone else copied his actons.
Lu snuggled herself up beside Alis who, while they were all talking, had curled herself into a ball and fallen asleep by the fire. She wrapped her arms around her younger sister, and closed her eyes.
It was going to be a busy day tomorrow.

This book has 4 comments. Post your own now!

ilovereading123 said...
Apr. 5, 2016 at 8:27 am
please update soon! i want to read more! its really good

laurenlovebug replied...
I'll add more as soon as I can lol XD

Writergirl009 said...
Sounds interesting! You obviously are quite a talented writer!

laurenlovebug replied...
Thank you! That means a lot! :)