The Creation of a Hero | Teen Ink

The Creation of a Hero

By airweinstein, Rockville, Maryland
airweinstein, Rockville, Maryland

Exaiden sat in the middle of Castle Justice, thinking as he sat on his throne of a god. He was permitted, after all he was the god of heroes. His bright white eyes glowed has his thoughts flowed through his mind.His head was covered by a hat similar to that of a wandering Chinese man. He searched through his wisdom for an answer to a question ever so simple.

Why, he thought to himself. Why must the world be like this, so filled with violence and hate and spite of one another? It is as if it is all dark and no light, all hate and no love, all evil and no good. I just don’t understand.

His frustration grew as he continued to picture what he witnessed. All the war and fury found on planet earth, the crown jewel of the universe, the planet created in Yod, the creators, image. It should be peaceful and a beacon of hope for all, but it just was not that way. It saddened him. He felt sympathy for the innocent who’s souls were tainted with the vile corruption known as evil, and transforming them into the one thing he disliked most, villains. It broke his heart to watch the abuse of little children and the drugs humans have found ways to concoct. How could they do this? It really pained him to have to sit and watch darkness rule the hearts of humanity, and there was nothing he could do about it.

Just then, the door to the illuminated, circular room opened, and a warmth filled the area. Exaiden knew exactly who it was. A man walked into the room. He looked old, about sixty, and was built very largely. He was black, about the same height as Exaiden, with a grey beard and grey hair. Exaiden knew exactly who it was, even if it wasn’t his true form.

“Hello Exaiden,” the man said.

“Hello Yod,” Exaiden replied in a deep voice. “May I ask what you are doing here?”

“You could at least stand up and give me a hug my son. It’s been far too long.”

Exaiden smiled, stood up, and walked over to his father. They shared a loving embrace.

“It is nice to know there is still something pure in the universe,” Exaiden remarked.

“What do you mean,”Yod replied in a wise, old man’s voice.

“It is nice to know that there is still a fathers’ love for his son, even if it is rare in humanity. They are lost father. Theyhave strayed from the path we set for them. It’s tough to watch.”

“That is actually what I came here to talk to you about.”

A perplexed look came over Exaiden’s face.

Yod smiled and said “I will explain. You’re right my son. They are lost, and they will not find they’re way back on their own. It is time to create what they could not make on their own. It is time to make a true hero. A hero that will defend what’s right and dedicate his life to doing everything in his power to protect the people of planet earth. Find a newborn and give him power. If him strength mightier than any animal and speed faster than a flying jet. Give him the power to fly as high as a bird and breath in space. Give him the power to scream so loud the heavens will hear it and buildings will fall. Inscribe in his core the ability to breath fire,generate electricity from his hands, and even the ability to sense evil deeds and motives taking place and being formed. Most importantly though, give him the heart of a lion. At eighteen years old the child will become an adult. That is when he will receive his power.”

Exaiden smiled. “Yes, father.”

“Well then, my business here is done. It was good to see you my son.”

They embrace each other one more time and Yod walks out the door. When the giant piece of wood closed Exaiden returned to his chair.

Finally, he thought. He could do what he was born to do. He was going to have fun with this.

`“Oh christ.”

Great, just great. I can’t believe we have a unit test today. That’s not what makes it awful though. What makes it awful is it’s in pre-calculus, my worst subject. The language of math is harder for me to comprehend than spanish, and I barely passed spanish. Sadly though, I have to take it, or I can’t pursue my dream of going to college where I will study computer `“Oh christ.”

Great, just great. I can’t believe we have a unit test today. That’s not what makes it awful though. What makes it awful is it’s in pre-calculus, my worst subject. The language of math is harder for me to comprehend than spanish, and I barely passed spanish. Sadly though, I have to take it, or I can’t pursue my dream of going to college where I will study computer animation and go on to be a game designer. I can’t even begin to process what’s on this paper though, like what are integrals? I really need to stop sleeping in class, which would be easy if the class wasn't so boring. At least it’s the beginning of the school year, so I can recover if I fail this exam. Plus, if I get straight A’s this quarter, my dad will take me to the world series. Now,
RIIIIINNNNNGGGGGG!!!!

Wow, bombing that test took longer than I thought. Alright, time to get out of this classroom. I grab my backpack from under my chair and proceed to exit the classroom and into the large hallways of the school.

My name is Dez, Dez Carpenter , but my friends call me D.C. I’m about five foot eleven and wiegh 150 pounds. I have short, wavy hair that is always covered by my L.A. Angels snap back. I like all the L.A. teams because I am from L.A., just to let you know.I’m white, wear glasses, and have a bit of acne on my face. My mom keeps telling me to use the Pro Active she bought me.Yeah, me using an acne cleanser. That’s a good joke. So yeah, that’s a physical description of me. My personality though? Well, you’ll be able to figure that out for yourself. Now that I've painted a little bit of a picture in your head of what I look like, I can continue my day.

I’m currently just outside of Indianapolis,strolling through Red Fern high school, where I am currently attending as a senior, and let me tell you something you lower class-man readers, being a senior is amazing. Except for college applications, which completely and utterly suck. I've already applied to a couple of schools, such as Michigan, Maryland, and USC, but my dream school that I’m working my butt off to attend is Indiana university. I mean, not only does it have in state tuition and a killer basketball program, but ever since I've visited it I've seen an amazing campus. For now though, let’s get through this first semester of high school so I can not even try on the second. I continue my jaunt down the hallways until I reach my locker, number 126. I enter my combo, 2-4-10, and my locker swings open. I drop of my math gear and wait for my friend Noah, who’s locker is next to mine and is in my next class.

“Yo D.C.”

I turn to see my friend Jeff walking towards me.

“Sup,” I reply. We high five. “Hey, did you get the English homework?” Jeff shakes his head

“Nope,” he replies.

“Great,” I exclaim. “I didn't get it at all.”

“Sorry.”

“It’s not your fault,” I respond. “Mrs. Grace just can’t teach.”

“Jeff chuckles and says “Yeah.”

Jeff is good looking, with blonde hair and blue eyes. If I was a girl I would want him, but I’m not so I look at him as a friend. He’s currently wearing a red hoodie that reads “Red Fern Football” in white. He plays safety, and is pretty damn good at it, so how are we friends? Simple. Comic books. I’m considered a big nerd, but nobody knows that Jeff likes comics. Kids can be very judgemental.

“Have you seen Noah?” I ask him.

“Nope,”Jeff responds.

“Looking for me,” I hear a high-pitched voice say. I turn to see the sweet face of Noah Pacer.

I forgot to mention something; Noah is a girl. She’s got a great figure, probably because she kick boxes, but is still kind of short, about five inches below me to be exact. She has long, dark brunette hair and a rather large nose, with shiny lip gloss always wiped across her lips. She’s probably the sweetest and smartest girl I know.

“There you are,” I say to her. We hug.

Jeff smiles. “Well I gotta go to class,” he says to us. “Later.” Before he walks away I could swear he winks at Noah. Whatever, it’s probably just me.

“Ready for class?” she asks.

I nod, and we begin our walk to Bio.

animation and go on to be a game designer. I can’t even begin to process what’s on this paper though, like what are integrals? I really need to stop sleeping in class, which would be easy if the class wasn't so boring. At least it’s the beginning of the school year, so I can recover if I fail this exam. Plus, if I get straight A’s this quarter, my dad will take me to the world series. Now,
RIIIIINNNNNGGGGGG!!!!

My name is Dez, Dez Carpenter , but my friends call me D.C. I’m about five foot eleven and wiegh 150 pounds. I have short, wavey hair that is always covered by my L.A. Angels snapback. I like all the L.A. teams because I am from L.A., just to let you know.I’m white, wear glasses, and have a bit of acne on my face. My mom keeps telling me to use the ProActive she bought me.Yeah, me using an acne cleanser. That’s a good joke. So yeah, that’s a physical description of me. My personality though? Well, you’ll be able to figure that out for yourself. Now that I’ve painted a little bit of a picture in your head of what I look like, I can continue my day.

I’m currently just outside of Indianapolis,strolling through Red Fern high school, where I am currently attending as a senior, and let me tell you something you lower classman readers, being a senior is amazing. Except for college applications, which completely and utterly suck. I’ve already applied to a couple of schools, such as Michigan, Maryland, and USC, but my dream school that I’m working my butt off to attend is Indiana university. I mean, not only does it have in state tuition and a killer basketball program, but ever since I’ve visited it I’ve seen an amazing campus. For now though, let’s get through this first semester of high school so I can not even try on the second. I continue my jaunt down the hallways until I reach my locker, number 126. I enter my combo, 2-4-10, and my locker swings open. I drop of my math gear and wait for my friend Noah, who’s locker is next to mine and is in my next class.

“Yo D.C.”

“Sup,” I reply. We high five. “Hey, did you get the english homework?” Jeff shakes his head

“Nope,” he replies.

“Great,” I exclaim. “I didn’t get it at all.”

“Sorry.”

“Jeff chuckles and says “Yeah.”

Jeff is good looking, with blonde hair and blue eyes. If I was a girl I would want him, but I’m not so I look at him as a friend. He’s currently wearing a red hoodie that reads “Red Fern Football” in white. He plays saftey, and is pretty damn good at it, so how are we friends? Simple. Comic books. I’m conisdered a big nerd, but nobody knows that Jeff likes comics. Kids can be very judgemental.

“Have you seen Noah?” I ask him.

“Nope,”Jeff responds.

“Looking for me,” I hear a high-pitched voice say. I turn to see the sweet complection of Noah Pacer.

I forgot to mention something; Noah is a girl. She’s got a great figure, probably because she kickboxes, but is still kind of short, about five inches below me to be exact. She has long, dark brunette hair and a rather large nose, with shiny lip gloss always whiped across her lips. She’s probably the sweetest and smartest girl I know.

“There you are,” I say to her. We hug.

“Ready for class?” she asks.

I nod, and we begin our walk to Bio.

Dr. Joseph Dolphin was looking through his files of research, trying to brainstorm answers for his latest question. The wheels were turning in his skull covered by his perfectly tan skin and his grey hair as he tried to answer a controversal yet interesting question. He’d already deciphered the key to using stem cells to generate new limbs and even create new brain cells to cure conditions like altzimers and down syndrome. It was how he made his billions of dollars, but his new project would take his research to the extreme; he wanted to use stem cells to genetically mutate humans. His mustache riffled as he continued to search for his answer. Finally, after an hour of hard searching, he gave up on the files, but not his idea.

“Hmmm,” he said to himself. “There must be an answer.”

BEEP BEEP BEEP.

His officc phone began to beep. He picked it up.

“ Hello,” he said.

“Dr Dolphin,” the voice of his secretary, Joanne, said. “Will is here.”

Dolphin smiled. “Send him up.”

About three minutes later the door to his office on the top floor of a glass building opened, and in walked his son, Will Dolphin.

Will was tall and attractive. He short, black hair that was spiked up into a mohawk with gel. He had just gotten back from a trip to Miami, so he was tan instead of the white he usually was. Despite being ninteen, he was incredibly mature. His father loved to brag about how his son had gotten a free ride to Alabama for football, where he was expected to be the star runningback.

“Hey dad,” he said.

“Hello Will,” Dr. Dolphin repleid. He stood up and embraced his son.

“What’s up?” Will asked. “Why’d you call. Is something wrong?”

Dr. Dolphin smiled and shook his head. “Not at all Will. I just need your help with something,”

“Okay.”

“I have a new theory, one that will revolutionize the scienfic field of genetics and even the world. I believe I might be able to genetically alter humans by replacing the normal human cell with genetically mutated stem cells. For example, maybe we could give a human super speed or super strength. I know it sounds like a long shot, but I need someone who is strong enough to edure the treatment physically. Someone like you Will.”

Will had heard some insane theories from his father. He thought the most unbelievable one was his theory that there was a human on earth who was given super powers by a god just waiting to reveal himself. This one though, was both unimaginable and dangerous. Then again, most if not all of his dads ideas were unimaginable, and yet they always seem to become a reality.

“What about my scholarship if something goes wrong?” Will asked after about a minute of thinking.

“Nothing will go wrong,” Dr. Dolphin replied. “I’ve got everything under control.”

Will smiled. He trusted his father, and Dr. Dolphin rarely failed in his expirements.

“Okay,” Will muttered. “Promise nothing will go wrong?”

“Promise,” his father replied. “Now go practice football. I don’t wanna pay for college.”

Will laughed. “Thanks,” he told his father, and left the room.

We Will left Dr. Dolphin went back to work feeling no remorse or guilt. Why would he? This wasn’t the first time he lied to his son.

“Wha- where am I?” I’m currently in what appears to be some kind of forest. This forest is different though. It’s… beautiful. The trees are greener, the color of the grass is more vibrant, and in a lake right in front of me the water is perfectly clear, as if no evil has touched it. Actually, it’s seems like nothing dark or evil has touched this forest.

“What is this place?” I ask myself.

“A place of purity and light.”

I turn to see a man. I could tell this wasn’t any man though. He’s tall, like really tall. I’d say he’s well over six feet. His eyes weren’t blue or hazel or brown They were gold. He’s wearing all blue with white boots, white gloves, and some kind of Chinese hat. I could tell this man has great power.

“Who are you?” I ask surprisingly calm. For some reason I’m not scared.

“My name is Exaiden,” the man replies. “Don’t worry I’m only here to give you instructions. You see, Dez, you are a very special boy. Tomorrow you turn eighteen, a landmark age for you, but not because you are becoming a legal adult. Tomorrow, you become what you have always what you have wanted to be. Do you know what that is?”

“Uh, I don’t know.”

Exaiden chuckles. “A hero Dez. You are going to become a hero. You won’t believe what I am saying now but you will understand when you wake up.”

Now everything makes sense, I’m sleeping.

“When you wake up, you will have all the tools you need to protect the world from harm. You will be able to breath fire and shoot lightning from your hands. You will have the gifts of super speed and super strengh. You will have the power of flight, but most important of all, you will be able to sense when acts of great evil are taking place, sometimes even before. I know you think I am not real and this is all just a dream, but in a minute you will wake up, and when you do you realize how powerful you are.”

Wow, this is an interesting dream. It feels so real. Then again, a lot of my dreams feel real.

“Umm, thanks Exaiden,” I say. “I’ll keep all that in mind. Now, I’m going to wake up. It was nice talking to you.”

Exaiden smiled. “A pleasure talking to you too. You are destined for great things Dez. You may not know it now, but you will know soon enough.”
Then, a white light overtakes the forest. I open my eyes. Wow that was a crazy dream. Wait, why am I so close to my ceiling? I look down, and my bed is right under me, but I’m not on it! I’m floating in midair!