NO Means NO

We have all heard our mothers, fathers, or guardians say, “No means no,” but when does ‘no’ lose its meaning? When does this word escape others ears and into thin air? And why?

Studies show one- in- five women and one- in- 71 men will be raped at some point in their lives. Yet out of every 1000 of these cases, 994 walk free. This number affects women and men all over the world. It’s time we face the facts and start giving these criminals what they deserve.

In sexual assault cases, 57% rapists are white, 27% are black, 6% are others and 8% are unknown with only 1% of mixed groups. 

One of the most used excuses for rape is “Well, look what she/he was wearing!” This argument has made its way from courtrooms to online to criticize others, striking victims with barriers on who they are, along with other mindless arguments. Women and men should be able to wear, and live how they want, and not have the fear of being ridiculed or assaulted.

If rape was based on how much skin was showing, the numbers would double during warmer seasons.
But they don’t.
If rape was based on how late someone was out, rape would only happen at night.
But they don’t.
If rape was based on how much someone was drinking, only drunken people would be raped.
But they aren’t.
If rape was based on how many people someone had slept with in the past, virgins wouldn’t be raped.
But they are.
If rape was about how developed or ‘grown’ someone was, only adults would be raped.
But they aren’t.

Perhaps I am too dull to wrap my head around the things people blame rape victims for, and go their way to comfort the rapist. To tell them it’s alright, it doesn’t matter the future the criminal would have had, they should be locked up with no further questions if they are found guilty.

I was told that I should write of the negative and positive, but this I simply cannot. I was told that my essay wouldn’t be recognized because of the subject. But I will make my voice heard. This happens every day, every hour, and it affects too many people to stay silent. If no one else in today’s age wishes to speak or write about it because of how it is “too much” or “an uncomfortable subject” then I will, and I know I’m not the only one who knows it is time to fix this.

Most people are too afraid to ask for help, they think no one can help. If one of these people are you, reach out. To a counselor or older guidance, they can help. Lose all contact with the offender, if you can. My advice would be to try to stay at a friend’s or relative’s home until you can get in touch with the police or someone else.  This goes for anyone.

15% of children 12-17 are raped, 54% 18-34 adults are raped, 28% are 35-64, and 3% are over the age of 64.Young women are especially at risk. Real enough yet?

82% of all juvenile victims are female. 90% of adult rape victims are female. Females ages 16-19 are 4 times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault Women ages 18-24 who are college students are 3 times more likely than women in general to experience sexual violence. Females of the same age who are not enrolled in college are 4 times more likely.

We live in a day and age where even education systems do not try to protect us from these statistics, but instead push upon us dress codes that do not change anything.

About 3% of American men—or 1 in 33—have been a victim.1 out of every 10 rape victims are male. 21% of TGQN (transgender, genderqueer, non conforming) college students have been sexually assaulted, compared to 18% of non-TGQN females, and 4% of non-TGQN males. It’s time to stand against this, and help those who have already been affected. Below will be a hotline to help anyone who has been a victim of sexual assault, if you have no one else to go to.

All that’s needed is a call.
Because “No” means “No”.
  1-800-656-4673  - National sexual assault hotline. Available 24 hours a day.
  1-800-799-SAFE  -National Domestic Violence Hotline
  1-800-422-4453 -National Child Abuse Hotline