Sacrifice, Bravery, Honor | Teen Ink

Sacrifice, Bravery, Honor

October 4, 2017
By Quintin03 GOLD, Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quintin03 GOLD, Waukesha , Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved" (Franklin D. Roosevelt). Our country's present state was achieved over the years by sacrifice, bravery, and honor by not only soldiers, but the American people past and present. If the goal of freedom wasn't upheld, then our human rights, flag, and everything we know today wouldn't exist. By flying a flag, respecting those who have fallen, and being grateful for what you have, you are representing American sacrifice, honor, and bravery.

 

Sacrifice . . . freedom isn't free. This statement grew into clear focus after researching my family tree. I found that my great great grandfather led an infantry called Arnett Riflemen, a prestigious group of men that fought during World War I. It became apparent to me, after reading his diary, the hardships they endured and what they accomplished during their missions . . . it was extraordinary. 

 

Bravery . . . my grandfather served in the US Navy, flying drones on a transport ship. He was stationed off the coast of Cuba, and was part of a group called Naval Air. They battled through the rainforest and converted old planes into drones, flying them into enemy ships. When my grandpa told me about his stories in the Navy,  I vividly remember his voice changing dramatically into a depressed state. All of the memories and flashbacks flooded back, leaving him to often leaving out the vivid details. My grandpa showed bravery, serving in the Navy at the age of 18 and is the first person I think of on Veterans Day; he is a true patriot for our country. 

 

Honor . . . a trait, I believe will never be lost with the American people who continue to defend our country. We continue to demonstrate and celebrate honor on Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and Labor Day, honoring the social and economic achievements of the hard-working American people.

 

"In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved" (Franklin D. Roosevelt). 


America will continue to remain the land of the free with the acts of sacrifice, bravery, and honor displayed by so many, past and present, are never forgotten.