I Am Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

I Am Proud to be an American

October 3, 2017
By kgymnast SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
kgymnast SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am proud to be an American. Charles Heinl survived a tragic sinking of his ship. He hung on a life raft in the Pacific for 42 hours, and didn't give up or let go. Meanwhile, sharks swarmed the area, and someone near him was attacked. Charles looked back on this moment in his life and said, “I am happy to be alive after that experience.” I am proud of Charles Heinl. 

I am proud to be an American. William “Sarge” Tucker joined the Air Corps at the age of 18 in 1943. Eventually he enlisted in the Air Force Reserves in 1947. A couple years ago, he attended his 75th Memorial Day Parade in Wilmington. When asked which parade was most memorable to him, he replied, “I guess this one.” US Senator Joe Biden said, “He represents everything that we hold dear. His is a true definition of patriotism, not a phony patriotism of ‘flag waving’ and letting everyone else do the work. This is a guy who is here with his friends from Delaware Hospice; a guy who insisted on coming to this parade.”  I am proud of William Tucker.

I am proud to be an American. My grandpa, Roger Williams served in the Air Force for five years, starting when he was 17. Recently, he passed away. Attending his funeral, there were representatives from the Air Force. This was such an honor and it made me realize how much these veterans do for our country. They also presented my family with an American Flag to honor his service. I am proud of my grandpa.

I am proud to be an American and that will never change. Patriotism is about having strength and courage to fight for one's country. It's about the men and women who risk their lives everyday. I am proud of all the veterans.