The Truth Be Told | Teen Ink

The Truth Be Told

It has been almost 1 year,nine months, and 29 days. Ever since that day, my whole life has changed. I was shaking with fear, eyes all puffy, stomach quenching. I was at the hospital. While I was sitting there I was thinking of the fun times I had with my dad from Dave and Busters to fishing. My dad would be the most fun, adventurous person I had ever met. You could say I was a daddy’s girl. I would do everything with him.

My mom and dad were only dating when they found out  they were pregnant. They separated 3 months into my mom’s pregnancy. When I was born  I had visitation with my dad every Wednesday, and every other weekend. I would be with my mom the rest of the time. About 4 years later, my mom started dating. 8 more years later, who soon became my step dad. On July 25, 2015, I was gifted with a precious baby sister. On May 26th, 2016, my mom found out that she was pregnant again and that my baby sister is due March 1st 2017. My father on the other hand, never again, had a girlfriend.

A lady by the name of Julia, middle 30’s, dark brown hair with a sharp cut at the ends walked into the waiting room. Her eyes were bright amber, like a crystal. She was wearing a pearl necklace with a turtleneck, and a blazer over top, with grey dress pants and argyle socks poking under black clogs. I hear a soothing voice come out of her saying my name. I raised my hand and quietly followed her into her office.

I went into a room that had white walls, and brown carpet. The room had two couches that fit two people each. I remember the brown square pattern on the couches, that didn’t match across from her seat. As she sat down on the black chair, I tried to imagine it spinning around like the judge's chair on “The Voice”. I was frozen. My mind was blank, I didn’t know what to say, so I just stared.

She asked me if anything makes me feel uncomfortable. I had replied with a “yes”. She asked if I wanted to share it with her so she could maybe help me with anything that was on my mind. I had told her that it makes me feel uncomfortable that my father kisses me way too much. She said to tell her more about the subject. I said that he also hugs me way too much and that I don't really like going to his house anymore because he doesn't listen when I tell him to stop. She looked at me with big eyes, as if she was very concerned. She said if there was anything else that goes along these lines that makes me feel uncomfortable. I said, “Well, he does make me sleep in his bed at night in my pajamas ever since I was a little girl,  and I was very unbearable.”  She the the rest of the office, which was white, and plain. A desk with a laptop was against a wall with a short chair turned towards the couches. I sat down on the couch that was directed explained to me that this was a very serious matter and that this needed to be addressed right away.

I look back at this moment today and I realize how scary this can be. I didn’t understand the dangers of this situation until someone had to tell me how serious this was. The thing is, you don’t understand the severity of issues until it actually happens to you. Yes, when I was little, I had read all of the “stranger danger” books out there and I thought well that will never happen to me, but when you take a step back and actually look at the real world, this could happen to anyone. This happened to be my own father, the one that loved me and cared for me before. Yeah, remember that nice, sweet guy in the beginning that goes on all of the fun fishing trips with you and takes you to arcades? Well that same guy in the flip of a switch, he can also be immature and very inappropriate.

My purpose of writing this I am writing this to not scare the reader, but to educate them and to let them know that anything can happen whether you are prepared or not.