The Memories in Music | Teen Ink

The Memories in Music

By miagriffin BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan
miagriffin BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan

We had waited on this moment for more than forever. My cousin Angie’s birthday was on August 20th and she was finally turning 16. Angie, my cousin Liya, and I decided to have a little celebration on that day with just the three of us together. After a 45 minute car ride that felt as if it was 8 hours, we arrived at a hotel in Detroit around 2:00pm and even though the bipolar Michigan weather that day was gloomy, we did not let it stop us from having fun. When we got to our room we proceeded to talk, listen to music, and have fun.

Me and my cousins had been huge fans of Frank Ocean ever since his first album. He is commonly known for releasing great music / albums then completely disappearing for a few years before releasing another one which left all of his fans wondering about him. The last time he released an album was in 2012. At around the beginning of August 2016 there were rumors he was releasing another one soon that had everybody on the edge of their seats waiting.

On August 20, 2016 he finally released his album after a long wait. This album was titled Blonde. My cousins and I found out about the release through twitter. By the time the album was out it was dark and rainy outside but the bright LED lights on the side of the hotel made the rain and the view of the city visible.With mixed emotions of happiness and excitement, I connected my phone to the aux cord attached to the speaker that we coincidentally brought to the hotel. After turning off the lights, we all laid by the window blasting Frank Ocean and crying for about two hours. We were not crying because we were sad but we cried because after the long wait, the album was amazing. After every song that was layed his words and voice brought back many good and bad memories. We each waited day and night through all of the rumors for four ongoing years for this album and we finally had it. While my cousins and I sat there listening and crying looking out the window, we did not say a word and we did not pick up our phones at all.

It took us about two hours to finish the whole album and I did not regret spending those hours of my life lying on a floor listening to my favorite artist. After we finished listening to the album we didn't know what to do with ourselves. When we finally got up, we didn't know what to do with ourselves because we spent all of our time listening to this album.  After about 15 minutes of just talking we decided to walk around the hotel. We spent the rest of the night listening to music and walking  around the big hotel. After walking around the big hotel we eventually made our way into the exercise room with no real intentions to actually exercise. In the exercise room we proceeded to converse and play around for what seemed like a few hours.

After the very fun and eventful weekend, we all tiredly fell asleep at around 3am. By 10 o’clock in the morning we were on our way home. On the ride home I listened to most of the album but every single minute of every song was stuck in my head for about a month. I realized that was unfortunately the end of the fun and emotional weekend. Now the fan base is still patiently waiting for the next album to be released.

I have loved music forever and Frank Ocean has always been my favorute artist. When I got emotional listening to his song that was my first time crying while feeling multiple emotions.