Three Melting Snowmen | Teen Ink

Three Melting Snowmen

By 16maddie PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
16maddie PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

They are the only ones remaining. I am the only one who built them. Three melting snowmen with uneven features and dirty diminishing snow. Three who do not fit in with the blooming flowers and green grass. Three ugly snowmen only appropriate in the winter. From the street, they wave to cars with their skinny branches in the roaring wind.

Their perseverance is surprising. They maintain smiles through their coal. They build up and they melt down into the earth and look up at the sky through their sparkling button eyes never looking on the downside. This is how they make it past others.

Let one forget his reason for being, they’d all frown like children who dropped their ice cream, each fearing never returning home. Smile, smile, smile they say to themselves. They stay positive.

When I am too sad to stay smiling, when I am melting tears and falling apart, then it is I look at the melting snowmen. When there is no other snow in my yard. Three who remain despite Spring. Three who smile and do not forget to smile. Three whose only reason to live is to make others happy.