Outcast | Teen Ink

Outcast

April 10, 2016
By HannahRose00 SILVER, Hemet, California
HannahRose00 SILVER, Hemet, California
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was my sophomore year when I realized that I didn’t fit in. It was a cold windy morning. I walked in the door to my first period class and was struck with warm clammy air. I quickly took my seat in the second row. Nobody noticed I had arrived due to how silently my feet had moved.  I hadn’t realized it was because of something else. I was wearing my favorite shirt at the time.Someone I had believed was my friend approached and said those awful words, “You’re one of those girls huh.” I quickly realized she was referencing to my outfit. I was wearing black combat boots, black skinny jeans, and a Sleeping With Sirens shirt. She looked at my shirt rolled her eyes and went back to her seat. After my supposed friend told me this I promised myself I would never show who I really was ever again. All of a sudden I realized how different I was.  My blonde hair was stringy and very thin exposing my very large forehead. I was short for my age, but I was in basketball which I had hoped would be enough for me to considered tolerable. It was never. All I had was my best friend. I didn’t really fit anywhere. I was a nerd, but at the same a basketball player. To make matters worse all the basketball girls disliked me. My supposed friends weren’t my clique. They all thought they were better then me and way more popular. My music taste wasn’t rap or whatever the top charts would say is cool. Even the clothes I wore weren’t understood by my peers. I was the definition of an outcast. My weight was even used against me. I never knew there was such a thing as being too skinny. There were tons of insults toward me for the most random things. For instance my voice was irritating, I was too weird, or my laugh was gross. They even had the audacity to mark my best friend as an outcast because she was really smart. To this day I’m still marked as an outcast,but I don’t mind. I don’t let it bug me as much as it used to. Instead of being a nobody, I’m an outcast and I’m okay with that. Some of my closest friends are outcasts with me. We might not fit in, but at least we have each other. Just because someone believes you don’t belong doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t fit in the world. We blend into the nothingness but at the same time there is someone out there just like us. I would rather be an outcast then nothing at all.