The Star Nosed Mole | Teen Ink

The Star Nosed Mole

The star nosed mole is one of many interesting creatures. Its most interesting feature and most recognising is its star shaped tentacles surrounding the nose. The moles measure roughly 7.6 inches (19mm) and weigh about 50 grams. As shelter they make large mole-hills(1-2 feet wide), then they dig down, roughly 7-8 feet per hour. The star nosed mole makes trips to the surface for about ten seconds at a time. The mole sleeps around 12 hours a day curled up like a ball, it has also been proven the the mole does not hibernate.

A star nosed mole has many predators to look out for including barn owls, red tailed hawks, weasels, and minks. The mole itself eats insects in the ground, including beetles and earthworms. Not much is known about the star nosed mole, scientist do still not understand their mating habits or how to moles communicate. The nose itself is very interesting, it is still unknown what it is exactly used for but it is believed as a way to sense objects. Like the platypus it might be used to detect electromagnetic waves, if so, the star nosed mole and platypus would be the only known species to possess that ability.