Treasure | Teen Ink

Treasure

By courtneyg SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
courtneyg SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

In the vast Waukesha County, there’s the small community of Monches. From the ballpark, to the Ice Age Trail, or my personal favorite, the Monches Farm, this town is a true treasure of Waukesha County, not only for it’s incredible beauty, but for it’s history.
The small town of Monches, being over 150 years old, is rich in history. The church, Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, first established in 1855, is not only incredible but full of it’s own history. Monches is also home to part of the Ice Age Trail, which is a 1,000 mile footpath highlighting the astounding things left behind by glaciers during the last ice age, over 12,000 years ago.
Growing up, I spent countless days here. The long and hot days of summer were spent wandering the Bug Line with my best friend, watching my sister play softball, or walking the Ice Age Trail with my family. My favorite of these days would be spent at The Monches Farm. The Monches Farm is a locally owned shop filled with hidden treasures of their own, such as antiques, gifts, and an awe-inspiring collection of dried flowers lining the ceiling.
Monches may be a small town, but for me, it was where my childhood took root. It was here I would explore and discover with my best friend, and form new and precious memories with my family. It was where I grew up. It’s for these reasons that Monches, is my own treasure.