My Dad | Teen Ink

My Dad

September 24, 2014
By Dreaa SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Dreaa SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments


As I grew up my dad came in and out of my life as he pleased. He had a huge effect on my life. His absence made a huge impact on my life and who I am now as a person. But my stepdad filled the hole my so called “dad” left in my life.
My parents split up when I was about two years old. He was abusive towards my mom and never really came home. She eventually got fed up with his actions and left. At first he would call all the time and tell me he was going to come visit me and get me all excited. I used to be so excited I would get all dressed up and clean my room and wait up so late for him to come. I would fall asleep at the kitchen table waiting and eventually my mom would come take me to bed. I grew up doing this for years. My mom never had the heart to tell me he wasn’t coming and even if she did I probably wouldn’t have believed her.  I had so much faith in him but he never actually gave me a reason to.
When I was about five my mom met my stepdad, ”Buddy”. Well at least that’s what I’ve always called him. He was always a very kind-hearted man and very ambitious to always do better. He would always tell me one day I will be the valedictorian. He has now been with us for 12 years and still to this day he says I will be the valedictorian. He always pushes me to do better and he has taken care of me practically my whole life. He always told me that no he’s not my “biological father but I’m still his daughter.
Recently I have started cheerleading. And last year I began playing softball. My stepdad does everything he can to pay for everything I need and be at most of my games and make sure I make every practice and every game. He makes sure I can keep up with my studies. I can talk to him as if he was my best friend. He listens to what I say and gives me advice that will actually help me. He has told me that I should take my situation with my dad and make something out of it. So now I am very careful who I rely on. I’d rather do stuff myself then rely on anyone else because I feel like if I can’t rely on my dad then, why should I rely on anyone else?  Also I am not very trusting. My dad has caused me to feel like you can’t always just trust people... That they should earn it because when you just give people your trust and expect so much then you’re easily disappointed.
My “dad” still to this day calls and promises that he will come visit me. And he still doesn’t show up. I see my dad once like every two years. He continues to disappoint me. But my stepdad encourages me to keep my head up and to prove that I will be just fine without my so called “dad”. At this point I my life I consider Buddy as my DAD.