Hopeless Romantic | Teen Ink

Hopeless Romantic MAG

By thebespectacledotter SILVER, Tappan, New York
thebespectacledotter SILVER, Tappan, New York

Seventh grade: I am a romantic – albeit a hunchbacked, shy, scrawny, bespectacled, unconfident one. I walk with my gaze on the floor, petrified of making eye contact with anyone. Occasionally, daring to be bold, I glance up, searching for one person in particular: the Juliet to my Romeo, or, more ideally, the Princess Leia to my Han Solo.

The apish athlete in front of me lumbers to the left, clearing my obstructed view. It’s then that I see her: beautiful, luminous … and totally uninterested in me.

Alas, nothing, not even my one hundred percent chance of failure, can stop me. My heart speeds up as if following the lead of an invisible conductor. The orchestra’s once-placid music becomes a frenzied piece with no melody. I try to collect myself as the distance between us decreases. Feet turn to inches turn to centimeters, and I am now beside her.

With the speed of a supercomputer, I assess my options. There are only two: speak now or forever hold my peace.

But what to say?

My repertoire of pickup lines is a null set. If anything, I should call them pickdown lines – incantations guaranteed to make all girls within a 12-mile radius vacate the area.

To hell with pickup lines. I have a way with words, don’t I? I’ll just improvise. After all, aren’t some of the best film scenes unscripted?

Deep breath. I’ve got the eye of the tiger. Deeper breath. My mouth opens and the first thing that comes into my head escapes my lips:

“I like mayonnaise.”

My pale skin turns a strawberry red, and I run away as quickly as I can.

A triumphant call to battle for the awkward, confused, and inept everywhere.

hahawrites said...
hahawrites, Easley, South Carolina

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost

You're so welcome! You deserve all of them :). I did read this piece in my Creative Writing class actually, my teacher allows us to start class everyday by reading the latest Teen Ink Magazine

Aw, shucks :D Thank you for the kind words about my piece! Also, you read it in your Creative Writing class????

hahawrites said...
hahawrites, Easley, South Carolina

I read this piece in my Creative Writing class. I absolutely loved it! I'm a hopeless romantic too, and can only dream of romance. I'm a kind of shy person so I could totally relate. I loved the way this piece was written, it was just really awesome.

on Jul. 24 2014 at 11:33 am
*author not liable for any explosions* :D

on Jul. 24 2014 at 11:32 am
Will do :D

on Jul. 24 2014 at 11:32 am
Thank you, oh kind one :D

on Jun. 20 2014 at 1:37 am
Tanian20 SILVER, West Hills, California

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars" - Les Brown

omg!!! this is so cute I'm going to explode awh 

thegirlwiththeelephantboots BRONZE, Nyack, New York
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"But a knife ain't just a thing, is it? Its a choice, its something you do. A knife says yes or no, cut or not, die or don't. A knife takes a decision out of your hand and puts it in the world and it never goes back again" -Patrick Ness

You are literally the next John Green. Not even lying. i'm like Abe lincoln in that way :)

on Jun. 19 2014 at 10:13 am
Wonderful piece of writing! I immediately made a connection with the author and could feel his angst at approaching the girl. The connection between author and writer was strong. Please write more!!!!