Fake It 'Til You Make It, Darling

Breathe in the dust, exhale the memories. You don't want those. They'll burn away, festering in the back of your mind if you let them stay. It's all very suffocating though. You know it's not just the dust, no, it's something far worse.

The buzzing roar of words, the cocoon of so-called perfection, the anguished scars you keep on the hush hush, the skipped meals, and drained glasses of water.

Burning, turning, enflaming around you, and cutting out your oxygen.

But your more than a good girl, you're a perfect girl. So you smile, tuck a strand of hair behind your ear, and bat your eyelashes a little. You're supposed to be pretty, too, after all.

If it hurts though, if stretching your dolled up lips that far stings and threatens to split them wide open, you have to keep your pretty little mouth shut. Not literally, of course. You still have to keep that big, bright, beautiful smile on.

Fake, phony, et cetera et cetera.

You've heard it all from that little voice in the back of your head.

But this is how real life works. Fake it 'til you make it, darling. And I've got this thing on lock.

Even if it kills me.

But they already have.

Kisses-A said...
today at 3:58 am:
God, Ali, you are one of the most eloquent people I know. The way you structure a sentence is just beautiful and mesmerizing and I love how powerful each sentence is.

Greekfreak347 said...
Feb. 18 at 7:19 am:
Very description of how a funeral goes, I felt like that at my grandpa's funeral (I really loved him) and everyone still says "she was the strong one who didn't cry, she's so brave. " So now I'm the brave one in my family, and it's hard to fake it sometimes I just get tierd of faking it all the time. I just want somebody else to be brave and smart, so I don't have to. So yeah, nicely non-fiction keep it up!! :)

LucyD. said...
Feb. 18 at 12:37 am:
Ali, you have one of the best personalities of all time. Your inner monologues must be amazing, your writing certainly is. I love the way you bluntly portray the real world and structure the piece. Great job on the dark, real take on society.