The Power She Has | Teen Ink

The Power She Has

February 8, 2014
By MariahLina15 SILVER, Ventnor City, New Jersey
MariahLina15 SILVER, Ventnor City, New Jersey
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Maybe it's not about the happy ending, maybe it's about the story." -A


It's a sweet day, the kind that makes you want summer to never end. I lift the sun glasses from my eyes and take in all the sights the beach has to offer. The tapping of children's feet as they scurry away from the water, shoobies bending over and examining every shell they come across. I feel a smile pulling at my lips, and i glance to my left where my best friend sits on her rainbow-striped towel, her skin hinting at a golden tan. It's in that moment that I realize how lucky I am. I have everything anyone could ever want. Siblings that drive me up the wall, parents that do the same, and a best friend who I will always remember for her heart, thats larger and deeper then the great blue sea itself.

Sure, she is goofy, crazy, and rebellious (at times so much that it worries me.) But she can also be soft, warm, and sensitive. Life without her would be dull, and the sun wouldn't shine. Her smile itself can light up a whole room, though she doesn't know it. She has sculpted me into the person that I am, and helped me become the person I strive to be. I know it sounds debatable that a person can have such a large impact in your life but you haven't met her. You haven't felt her embrace you when you're down, you haven't heard her laugh bounce off every single wall in the room, and you have not been her best friend. She doesn't just remind you about homework, she makes sure you do it. Even though your grounded, she comes to your house anyway to see if she can persuade your parents into letting you out. That is what a best friend is supposed to do. Now when I remember that day, laying on my warm Little Mermaid towel and soaking up the sun's warm rays, I know that best friends are hard to find, because the best one is already mine.


The author's comments:
"For my best friend, I hope this will show her how much she really means to me."