Transcendental Views of Drug Violence & Cartels | Teen Ink

Transcendental Views of Drug Violence & Cartels

By Hannah22 SILVER, Marietta, Georgia
Hannah22 SILVER, Marietta, Georgia

Transcendentalism has strong beliefs in the individual, peace, respect for both humanity and nature, non-conformity, and reducing dependence on material possessions. Drug violence and crime defy these beliefs and overwhelms many parts of Latin America, Mexico in particular has some of the most influential cartels such as Los Zetas. These gangs have weapons made of gold, exotic cars and animals, mansions equipped with state-of-the-art pools, appliances, vaults, and even mausoleums equipped with bullet-proof windows and air conditioning. This gives them more power and respect from their followers and by standers. However, when these items are put up for auction people hesitate to buy them because they attract attention and you may be killed.

The narcos even believe they have a patron saint, Jesus Malverde, he is thought to have been similar to Robin Hood and many pray to him and leave messages in his shrine thanking Malverde for getting him out of jail, although there is little proof that he ever existed the worship is constant. The drug lords have severe manipulation over the government officials and the police forces, those that resist persuasion are often killed or their families are, this is a common act in places such as Sinaloa, Mexico ruled over by the Sinaloa Cartel, headed by Joaquín Guzmán Loera. Names like his are feared and revered, they are ultimate celebrities, making as much as the highest paid U.S. CEOs.

Those against the cartels do not make themselves known and the police forces must hide their identity in fear that their families may suffer the consequences. The forces that remain against the Sinaloa Cartel search the mountains by helicopter to find the fields of marijuana, the value amounting to $1 million and more, uprooting them and burning them on the spot. The U.S. border patrol does find many drug traffickers, however, these efforts have little affect and the cartels are now increasing their production of drugs that don't take months to grow and resort to methamphetamine, cocaine, etc. turn out massive profits for the narcos. The self-absorption on a quest for wealth and power while destroying the safety of fellow members of the human race is encompassing.