my life story | Teen Ink

my life story

Suicide takes the lives of nearly 30,000 Americans every year. Over half of all suicides occur in adult men, ages 25-65 (www.save.org). To know someone who committed suicide is hard. My dad was one of the men who did this. He was depressed. He and my mom used to fight a lot.

When I was three, I found my dad hanging by his neck in our garage. Since I was so young, I really didn’t understand or realize the finality of this.

This is important because I lost my own dad. If you were me you would be scared to. If you could hear him choking and you could hear my swallows and you were me you would feel bad that you could not do anything to help your own dad. If you could taste my saliva for how scared I was it would affect your life to. If you were also me you could also taste the sadness of losing him. If you looked into his eyes before he died you could be sad that my dad was choking and my dad was not moving. If you could touch him you would not feel or here the air coming out of him and feel me shaking him. You could feel the sadness and sacredness of me pulling him of the rope.

i have experienced this alot.