A Lucky Experience | Teen Ink

A Lucky Experience

February 7, 2012
By MikeK SILVER, Monticello, Illinois
MikeK SILVER, Monticello, Illinois
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
The purpose of life is a life of purpose


Earlier today I had the opportunity to job shadow the people at 97.5 FM in Central Illinois. A job shadow is a process where you follow someone through their day and learn more about their career. Job shadowing the news director and anchors of Lite Rock 97.5 was one of the most exciting experiences of my life. I got a chance to sit in on three live broadcasts, listen to an interview of the police sheriff about a recent shooting, learn how to edit voice recordings, and learn how to draw up a person’s legal files on the internet. The people at 97.5 were very nice. They patiently and politely answered all of my questions along with giving me inside information on how a radio station works. I met with their news director, their head of sports department, a few of their anchors, and their general director. Everyone at 97.5 came into work dressed up formally, but their everyday work was anything but formal. They are all friends and enjoy making jokes on and off the air. This was truly an amazing experience. It definitely makes me want to keep pursuing my course as a journalist. If you ever get a chance to see how a radio station works or even job shadow at one, don’t hesitate to take it. I hope many other students will get to have the same experience I did today.

The author's comments:
The careers class at my school arranged for each student to job shadow a person of the profession of their choice. Our school provided me a great opportunity and I will be scheduling some of my own job shadows in the future.