Tonight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I press my nose against the window and watch as my breath fills up the cold space. It's then that I know I'll do it tonight. Like water fills the empty space later called a pond, my breath fills the cold frozen sheet. I think of what it'll be like, staring at the stars in the freezing cold. Maybe even falling off, breaking something. I realize now it doesn't matter. Nothing matters.

What will it be like in the summer, gazing at the stars, trying to find my fate? Will this be my new favorite spot? The one place no one will ever find me? And I think about it again. Tonight. Stars. And me.

Tonight I'm climbing out on my roof. Out of my comfort zone, out of the good-girl mold. I'm opening my window, climbing out, and staring at the stars. Maybe next summer I'll even bring someone there. Someone very special.

I'm going to do it tonight.

I press my nose against the window, filling the sheet with warmth.

cloverleaf144 said...
What I love about your piece is that it is short, yet powerful all at once. You keep your readers captive till the end, and your use of imagery and words are fantastic. Keep posting other stuff, because i hope to read more from you! :)

otherpoet said...
So beautiful! My house has an overhang, and I've always dreamed of going on it in the summer and having fireflies buzz around my head. only 2 problems, no fireflies and the way to the roof is through my brother's room! This is an excellent piece, it is so elegent. Thanks for writing!