Dreadful | Teen Ink

Dreadful

August 5th, 2010. 8:30am. Knock. Knock. Knock. I open the door. An officer stands in front of me with three large moving trucks in the driveway. One word: foreclosure. The officer says, “You have twenty minutes to vacate the property. Do you have a ride away from here?”
“Yes. My mom is on her way here now,” I say.
“Okay, twenty minutes will start when she gets here,” he replies.

August 5th, 2010. 9:00am. I’m homeless. Thirty minutes is all it took. My life. My family. My security. All is turned upside down. I’m in shock and tears run down my face. My mom sits and decides on how to break the news to my dad.

August 5th, 2010. 1:00pm. Dad’s back. I try to hide. All I want to do is it to run away from this place. But I can’t.

August 10th, 2010. A close family friend tells us to move in to his deceased father’s house. It’s a bed to finally sleep in, but my real bed would be better. Life is closer to “normal”—whatever that is now. It’s been five days and the wounds are healing, but are still fresh.

August 18th, 2010. I finally get to see all the items that have made up my life. Security is finally being repaired. It will never be the same security as before, though. My invisible wall will always be in place.

September 1st, 2010. Junior year has arrived. My new life has begun. My goal this year: repress the final month of my summer. School comes first. It is the most important thing in my life now.

Junior year I end with a 3.6875 GPA. I’m proud of myself I kept my grades up all year. My goals are now even more reachable than before. I will be the first one out of two kids to graduate on time and I will be the first one to go to college out of my household. These were called easy, but for me they were hard to achieve.

September 1th, 2011. Senior year is now upon me and my past still haunts me. I am moving on and my grades still come first. I don’t know how long it will haunt me, but one thing I know is that I’m a stronger person.

This event is somthing my family has actually been through and it still haunts us to this day.