The Crash | Teen Ink

The Crash

By Donahue8 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Donahue8 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania

"The only easy day was Yesterday" -U.S. Navy SEALs

An ordinary morning, that’s all it was. At 7:00 I began my short walk, just two doors down, to my aunt’s house. She was a teacher and her son and I would drive in early with her before school began, as we had done all year. The sun was shining bright and my unadjusted eyes had to squint to see. It was a fairly warm day but with a chilly breeze. I could smell the dew from the grass and hear the constant call and answer of the bird’s chirps. I could still taste my breakfast of cereal and chocolate milk. It was January of my second grade year. I was young, happy, and foolish. Around me only the bright green of the grass and trees, and life was as it should be, good.

As I neared my aunt’s house I noticed her car slowly moving back a few feet, then forward the same distance. Confused I walked up the short but steep hill that her driveway was on. When I was next to the car I saw it wasn’t my aunt driving, but my cousin who was only 4 years older than myself. He had blond hair, blue eyes, and was very intelligent. Yet, I couldn’t understand why he was driving.

“What are you doing?” I asked.

“My mom told me to warm up the car” he replied.

I was too young to realize he had avoided the question entirely. He got out of the car and asked if I wanted to try. I said I didn’t, but he told me it was very easy and started making fun of me. Feeling very nervous I got into the driver’s seat and closed the door. He leaned through the window to control the wheel and put the car in reverse. The car began to roll backwards and I felt more and more anxious. As it got close to the hill he told me to hit the brakes. Absolute terror gripped me then because I was unable to reach them and the car had reached the hill. He began to yell louder for me to hit the brakes but couldn’t. Suddenly my feet found a peddle, and I pressed it down as hard as I could, but the car didn’t slow down. It seemed to speed up. I heard a scream and a loud BANG, then nothing. Silence? What had happened? I seemed to be thinking about everything and nothing at the same time. All at once my senses came back to me. Pain? I had hit my mouth on the steering wheel. Taste of leather? Also from the steering wheel. Smoke? Must be from the car. Then I heard the screaming, a horrible screaming that sounded like a dying animal.

“I’M GONNA DIE!!! PLEASE KILL ME NOW!!!! GOD HELP ME, PLEASE!”

Then I was outside the car. Did I even open the door? Did my feeble legs even support me? And where was the screaming coming from?! I looked up and saw my cousin, covered in blood, screaming and crying. I could see his bone through his leg. The blood was everywhere and I began to cry and scream for help. My legs could no longer support me and I fell. But then I was in my aunt’s house. How did I get here? Did I even fall over? Where was my aunt? I yelled anything to get her to come. She finally wrapped in a towel. Then I heard the screaming again. Somehow I was outside and hear my cousin, wanting to die, and saw the blood that covered the street, and felt the pain in my mouth and head. I cried, and when I looked up, I was in my house. I ran to the window. Police cars and ambulances were everywhere. Across the street from my aunt’s house war her car, smashed into my neighbors front porch. My senses were gone. My heart seemed to stop. There was nothing after that.

I was only 8. My cousin was 12.

mbk123 BRONZE said...
on Mar. 11 2015 at 10:46 pm
mbk123 BRONZE, East Hampton, New York
This is really shocking but very well written. Hope that you and your cousin are alright now.

on Feb. 27 2012 at 7:11 pm
Donahue8 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania

thanks so much! and yea it really was :(

anon12345 said...
on Feb. 27 2012 at 7:06 pm
anon12345, Gys Drive, California

"If there is a will, there's a way"- Theodore Hertzel

THIS IS SOOOOOO SAD AND GOOD AND SCARY

on Feb. 9 2012 at 2:58 pm
Donahue8 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania

Thank you so much! it means a lot to me! and the car ran over his leg, and his shin bone broke so it was stinking out of his leg. He had to be flown down to the hospital. He could have bled out though so we were really lucky. He's still alive, but he has a huge chunk of skin missing on his leg. He's actually doing really well; he is going to the Naval Academy (it's a college for the navy, like west point) and he is trying to become a pilot.

Shmelmo GOLD said...
on Feb. 6 2012 at 8:25 pm
Shmelmo GOLD, Elma, Iowa

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Wow. I really loved this. You have an amazing way of making the words flow together and it just makes me want to keep reading. Nicely done - please keep writing, you are really good. By the way, what happened to your cousin?

Seven-Teen said...
on Dec. 2 2011 at 7:03 pm
Seven-Teen, Wausaukee, Wisconsin

love him oh yes i do
hes for me not for you
and if by chance
you take my place
ill take my fist
and smash ur face!

Love dose not even begin to explain how much i enjoyed this. you are and an amazing writer so neveer stop:)

on Dec. 2 2011 at 6:52 pm
Donahue8 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania

:/ yea thanks though

on Dec. 2 2011 at 6:51 pm
Donahue8 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania

hank you so much!

on Nov. 26 2011 at 9:38 pm
RaveFire PLATINUM, Vancouver, Washington

"Sometimes You Have To Give Up Your Life To Save It." ~some book that i don't remember the name of

"Live Life Like There's No Yesterday" ~ random billboard

"If No One Can Hurt You, Then Nobody Loves You" ` ~ Kerli?

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

on Nov. 26 2011 at 11:16 am
Malina_FDM BRONZE, River Forest, Illinois

"Don't live your life until people stop inspiring you, live your life until there are no more people left to inspire"

You are very talented!! I love how the words are just so easy flowing-that's a sign of truth. This is great. Keep Writing!!!

on Nov. 26 2011 at 12:51 am
Donahue8 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania

Thanks, and yea i was so scared at the time. It still is the worstday of my life.

on Nov. 26 2011 at 12:48 am

oh my gosh! this is amazing and actually kinda scary. very intense

on Nov. 24 2011 at 6:28 pm
Donahue8 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania

thanks! and yea, I did unfortunatly, he is mussing a huge part of his leg :(

on Nov. 24 2011 at 6:27 pm
Donahue8 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania

thanks so much!

on Nov. 24 2011 at 6:26 pm
Donahue8 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania

thanks :) I will

on Nov. 24 2011 at 6:26 pm
Donahue8 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania

haha it's realistic because it's true! but thanks!

on Nov. 24 2011 at 6:14 pm
FishboytheWriter PLATINUM, Nogales, Arizona

"Chaos, disaster, and disorder-My work here is done." --Mr. Fontes

Normally, i don't like non-fiction. this is a very uncommon exception.

Your a natural. Keep Writing Donahue.

on Nov. 24 2011 at 6:00 pm
wordjunkie BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

It was a bit confuzing, but the pain was well described. Good overall :)

on Nov. 24 2011 at 5:59 pm
SpringAhead GOLD, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

"Don't call me crazy, it drives me nuts!"

~Anonymous

I really like this! It was riveting and kept me interested until the very end where it just kind of drops you. Nicely done :)

on Nov. 24 2011 at 5:59 pm
Hopeful_One BRONZE, Santa Maria, California

\"I always believe there is a plan for us all, and a reason for everything that happens. It\'s just hard to see sometimes.\" -Grace\'s dad from Falling for Grace

I loved it!!! It's so realistic and I bet other crash victoms could relate to it :)