The Book of (My) Life | Teen Ink

The Book of (My) Life

October 16, 2011
By Anonymous

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word “book”? From my experience, many would say something along the lines of “boring” or “waste of time”. However, there are a select few that would say “interesting” or “exciting”. Both sides have their own reasoning to their opinion. But as for me, I am one of the select few. I am the person who is commonly known as the “bookworm” or “dreamer”.

That was me a year ago.

I will be the first to admit, my head was more stuck in the clouds than it was stuck to my shoulders. Although I still enjoy daydreaming, I don’t do it nearly as much as I use to. You see, I came across a book one day, titled “Perfect You”. I was intrigued, as usual, and decided to read it. At first, I didn’t like it because the main character was always having a pity party in her mind and occasionally with her family. But I always try to finish reading a book, even if it seems that I don’t like it at first. Then, near the end, something caught my attention.

“So, you’re telling me that no matter what, you can’t be happy? Well, darling, it’s no wonder you’re miserable. It’s what you want.”

“It’s not like that,” I snapped. “I want to be happy.”

“So then try.”

“Try? That’s you’re advice? Try to be happy? Great Grandma. Thanks.”

“Darling, the world doesn’t owe you anything.”

“Wow, that so doesn’t make me feel better.”

“It’s not supposed to,” she said. “That part is up to you.”

As those words were soaked up by my mind, I began to realize that Grandma was right. In my case, I never tried to make my story a little more interesting. I just took whatever came to me. I never reached out for anything. It was no wonder to why I thought my life was so plain. I wanted it that way. And once I stepped back to look at my life, I realized that there was so much I could do with it.
The first change I made was how much time I spent with friends, or lack there of. Before, the most interaction I had with my friends was chatting at school or on the phone. Looking back at that time, I realize that my behavior was very strange. I was never really involved in the lives of my friends. But now, whenever I think about going shopping or to a movie, I call up a friend or two and invite them to tag along. So not only am I having a better time, but I’m making memories.
I also changed how I’d let chances and opportunities pass in front of me. Instead of watching the rain from a window, I dance in the rain. Instead of sitting next to the fireplace while it’s snowing, I grab a sled and head for the hills. I try to make the most of a situation, basically.
I remember this past summer, there was this huge storm. Rain was falling like cats and dogs. Both my sisters and I were bored, being stuck indoors, so I suggested that we go out and play in the rain. They were against it, at first. But once I was spinning around in the wet backyard in my bathing suit and white shirt, they soon joined me. We laughed and ran aimlessly around the yard and rolled about in the puddles. We made the perfect Three Stooges.
My parents often would encourage me to find my “niche” and a way to embrace it, so I began searching for clubs to join (I’m indifferent about sports). Pretty soon, I was in the Art Club, drawing with charcoal and pastels. Not only did I enjoy the art, but also interacting with other talented, creative students, like yours truly.
My message to those who think they too have a boring life, here’s my advice to you. Get off your miserable butt, and do something about it! Next time that it rains, run out the front door and just start dancing and shout “I’m singing in the rain”! Next time you hear you’re favorite song come on the radio, sing the lyrics, regardless of those around you or might hear you! If you really want to go nuts, randomly wear neon-pink pants to school! Have a water-balloon battle with your friends! Do something different! Life is short, so for heaven’s sake, make the most of it. Clock’s ticking.