Introvert | Teen Ink

Introvert

By zonaSKYE01 SILVER, Jefferson, Iowa
zonaSKYE01 SILVER, Jefferson, Iowa

If 'growing up' means it would be beneath me to climb a tree, I'll never grow up, not me.
-J.M. Barrie

I sat on the swings as the sky darkened, a gorgeous sunset on one side, a full moon on the other.

I neither full-on swang nor stayed at a complete stand-still; more of a gentle rocking in time to the music in my head.

The bass inside the building started up as the chill wind gave my arms goosebumps, but I didn’t mind the unfriendly zephyr. The stars were too majestic to let slip away.

The doorknob jiggled for a second before it opened and four teenage girls stumbled out, too high on life to notice me.

I stayed there for a while, thinking of things most adolescents do not, but should, think of.

I thought of your face when I do something funny that shouldn’t be, I thought of how silly I was being, really, and I prayed for patience.

My thoughts had worn out, and the sky had reached a deeper shade of black, and it was right as the bass began thumping again that I left the swing and entered the building once more.