Taken for Granted

What if I wanted to go back? What if I said I wished to be swallowed back in time to my days with you? They seem so far away that they could never reinvent themselves into the future- a future with you. The moments I miss most are the ones I took for granted.

The mornings I would awake and find messages from you, and the last night's conversation would flood back to my mind and leave a small smile etched upon my dreary face. When we'd sit together on the end of the couch during a boring movie, listening to music and playfully arguing over the next song. And you'd always let me win. I would doze off on your shoulder, absentmindedly unaware of the fact that the close comfort meant more to you than it did to me... at the moment. Then you wanted to take things farther, more than I wanted to risk. I was afraid- scared to lose everything we ever had to an awkward teenage break-up. I regret not committing more often than you think.

And what I would do to go back. There's so much I would give to return to that time, so much I would be willing to sacrifice. I would meet you all over again if I had to. I would start from the very beginning if that's what it would take to go back to those days that I took for granted.