My Start with Education | Teen Ink

My Start with Education

By Geni.7 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Geni.7 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

"You can take a man out of the hood but you cant take the hood out of a man" - Daddy Yankee

Me! Who am I? I’m a girl, that society has named, Genesis Fernandez. I am a girl with brown hair, brown eyes and I’m a heck of a lot taller then most 15 year olds. Most people tell me I look like an Amazon, but I think differently. I think I’m a girl who doesn’t have a clue where she’s going but she knows that she’s going somewhere. Not everyone makes it to the big places like New York or Paris. But me, I made it!

It all started back in the Dominican Republic where my family is from. My father’s grandfather was from Spain while my mom’s grandmother was from Haiti. My mother and father lived in the same neighborhood. My father was a chemistry teacher at my mom’s school and that’s how they met. My father was eleven years older then my mother. It was against the law to date someone between that age ranges. My father also served in the military and as a veteran it was malicious to date someone eleven years younger. It wasn’t fair for my mother. But since I am here you automatically know that they were together.

At the age of twelve my mother was defoliated, but it wasn’t until half a decade later that I was born. My mom was seventeen when she got pregnant and eighteen when she gave birth to me. I was born in the United States. My mother wanted to have a good life like the Americans on TV. My mother’s mother was already in the United States living with one of her husband’s. My grandmother was very promiscuous; therefore she would marry the men in hoping that she would get a permanent residence.
My mother lived with her mother when she came to the United States. We didn’t have any where else to go. My grandmother was already living with her two other children. They where my aunt and uncle, they were in high school and would fight a lot. My mother and uncle had the same birthday, but they weren’t twins, they were from different fathers. At the age of three she lied about my age and said I was five and placed me in a day care center. I learned how to write and read. For my fourth birthday I got an educational mini computer that taught me about math. At the age of 5 I knew how to add, subtract, multiply and I knew a few of my time tables. By the time I was in kindergarten I had learned everything in a six month curriculum, which then helped me concentrate on my writing.
I was always the one to be lazy for house work and chores but when it came to my homework and eating veggies, because I learned that it made you smarter, I was the first one to contribute.

I was inspired by my mother who has struggled very much over the years with her education and life. She is my all and if it wasn't for her I wouldn't know where I'll be. I hope that people would see that even a Dominican-American can make it. That education starts from day one.