Shadye | Teen Ink

Shadye

October 19, 2010
By Jules BRONZE, Gulfport, Mississippi
Jules BRONZE, Gulfport, Mississippi
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love isn't finding a perfect person. It is seeing an inperfect person perfectly."


August 15, 2009, I was given a phenomenal opportunity. I was asked by a friend who is also a pilot, Tim Barrineau, to assist with an air flight rescue of a Dalmatian puppy named Shadye. Mr. Barrineau volunteers with a group called ARF, Animal Rescue Flights.

Founded in 2008, ARF is based in Norwalk, Connecticut. The organization has pilots who donate their time for free. The pilots offer to pick up and fly a rescued animal on one or several legs of a flight, relocating the animal to its new home. Organizing relocation requires extensive communication due to the number of people involved. The ARF not only assists dogs of all sizes and breeds, but also cats.

Our flight began with our flying from Diamondhead, Mississippi, to Monroe, Louisiana, early on Saturday morning. We met Wally Courtney, Capt. USN Retired. He had flown the first leg of Shadye’s journey. Shadye proved to be a statuesque, beautiful, spotted puppy. Shadye, being a rescued puppy, seemed reserved, but I have been told that most rescued animals are shy in the beginning. However, after a few minutes, she warmed up to me and began to lick my hand. For a young puppy she was well built with an extremely soft and shiny coat.

After loading Shadye into the kennel on the plane, we began our flight. These Animal Rescue Flights involve different legs. Originally, we were scheduled to fly Shadye to Birmingham, Alabama; but someone cancelled, and we ended by flying her to Rome, Georgia. In Rome, Georgia, we met two cordial gentlemen, Shanon and his friend. Their mission was to deliver Shadye to her final destination in Roanoke, Virginia.

I will never forget this exceptional experience. A remarkable organization, ARF and their volunteers, to accomplish the relocation of these creatures depended upon God. These individuals provide opportunities for animals which might otherwise be euthanized to obtain the chance for new lives. If you would be interested in volunteering with ARF, contact them through their website, www.meetupavation.com.


The author's comments:
This was an experience that I enjoyed and wanted to share with others. I hope that others will be inspired to become involved.