We The Gawkers | Teen Ink

We The Gawkers

By Berta BRONZE, Somewhere, Massachusetts
Berta BRONZE, Somewhere, Massachusetts

"In riding a horse, we borrow freedom."
Helen Thompson

Have you ever noticed how we people love to gawk at everything? I mean, got to see what is happening 24/7/365. I know that this includes me, but I just can’t help it, it is in my blood. Just slowing down on a highway, oh boy, maybe there is an accident to look at! I am guilty of it too, and yeah, maybe I will hang my head in shame... but probably not. No one can be cured, it is just too irresistible. I was on the highway once, driving with my friend, and all of the sudden, we are crawling along at a snail’s pace. Going that slow makes me want to rip my hair out. When we finally approached the slow zone, I, the gawker, had to look and see what all the fuss was about. It so happens that there was an accident, just a fender-bender, but no police officers to stop traffic. The traffic was stopped just because everyone had to look! Seriously, that is ridiculous, but hilarious at the same time. We were on our way somewhere, and didn’t have all the time in the world, as I’m sure hundreds of other people were too, but when something like that happens, all of the gawkers’ minds go blank, nothing is left in their brains, not even their own name! All that matters is the possibility of a bloody mess for people to feast their eyes on. Then they rush to their destinations, just drooling to tell everyone about what they saw on the way. News spreads like wildfire, so? instantly, before it is even in the paper, people are talking. The next day, there will be double the amount of cars, just searching for that bloody stain at the scene of the accident. I could name a huge list of things that people want to see, but some could get gory, so I’ll try to skip those. Here goes: a bloody mess, people laying in the road, a car smashed into a guardrail, or even better, in a ditch, flat tires, overheated engines, a car on fire, with a person screaming for help while everyone just ignores them, a flipped car, police car sirens, fire trucks, ambulances, tow trucks, and if possible, a several car pileup. I don’t mean to insult anyone, that’s just the way we are. Please read my revised beginning of the real Constitution.

We the people of the United States of America...
--Uh, I mean--
We the gawkers of the United States of America...

I wrote this piece because of my personal experience, and it gets me annoyed, but I also think that it is funny. I like writing comedy, so I HOPE that this will make you laugh!

Jean said...
Very interesting article.  Great comments about gawking.  Something I don't think of a lot but your article makes good points.

Gram said...
on Oct. 27 2010 at 9:26 am
Your whole story is sooooooooo true!!!.  I think your title applies to most people.  Fantastic writing.  Thanks.

Jeff said...
Wow, how true this is but never really thought about it...it happens everyday, why are flashing lights so alluring...hmmm, great article!

Gman06042 said...
Guilty as charged, I am irritated and gawk at the same time. Fun article, nicely written.

Andrew said...
on Oct. 20 2010 at 9:32 am

Very nice article and written well.

Hi my name is Andrew and I am a gawker.

Wayne said...
on Oct. 20 2010 at 8:22 am
Great article. Absolutely true.  Most won't admit it, but we all do it!

DeDe said...
So true! A slice of reality. Nice job!