You Never Know This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“You'll never know until you try.”

I know Jane is right, but logic keeps up a steady supply of excuses. It won't work. I'll get my heart broken. If I take this risk, things won't end well.

My mouth is dry from arguing. Every excuse, every lie, every fear has already been said. The letter lies in my lap, looking innocent enough. Part of me wants to rip it up and never speak of its contents again. Another part of me, the crazy destructive part, wants to take the risk. This letter is a piece of me. I wrote it to the boy who holds my heart unknowingly.

My lips part slightly, whispering, “What if I'm mistaken? What if he doesn't feel the same way?”

“We've all heard the story. We've all seen how he acts around you. But all we have is a hunch; you won't know unless you give him that letter.”

In my mind's eye, I see him smiling at me at the dance. I see him laughing next to me when he gave me a ride home. I see his eyes, his face, everything about him that made me fall head over heels, heart over brain.

I know I don't want to spend the rest of my life wishing I'd done more than write a letter that was never sent, but giving him this letter would mean surrendering my heart to another. Why don't they tell you love is this hard in romance novels? How can such a silly, crazy, brilliant, kind person turn my world upside down and inside out?

I take a deep breath. I know the world must think me insane – most of my friends do. I know that I might not get my happy ending. I know he isn't Mr. Darcy, and I'm sure not Elizabeth Bennet. If someone told me that one day I'd be clutching a love letter like a life line, a letter to a boy about to embark on a journey to the future, I'd have said they were bonkers. Maybe I'm the one who is bonkers.

“This might not end well. But I have to try.”

catwithglasses said...
today at 8:36 pm:
I love this. You can feel the suspense like, "Will she send the letter or not?" It's really great

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm:
Oh my god, I loved the reference to Pride and Prejudice, a great work by Jane Austen, and I love it. I loved the article as well, easily relatable yet it has its own uniqueness. Great job, andd keep writing!

clumsyteardropper said...
i always write guys that i like letters...... sighhhh........ but i neeeverrrr send them.
ive always loved your work... dont stop writing please :)

dimediva95 said...
Feb. 28, 2011 at 7:58 am:
Wow I could really relate to this.  No one likes to be ignored and deffinately can't stand not knowing if something happened.  You used really good tone in this and I could really understand you.  The suspense made it better.  I really enjoyed reading this. 

htrae22 said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 8:13 pm:
 this is pretty sweet good job

Esther V. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 5:10 pm:

ohmygoodness please make a part 2 if you gave him the letter!

i think about doing stuff like this allllll the time but never have the courage to do so. whether or not you have the courage; im sure you can write about it very nicely; so please do!

BrittDawn This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 1:14 am:
oh my God what a great piece! I toally wanna know what you did with the letter!

AprilBlueThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 22, 2010 at 6:15 pm:

Do it do it do it! :)

I love your work :D