The Awakening of Fall | Teen Ink

The Awakening of Fall

By LindseyinLittleton BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
LindseyinLittleton BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

The light breeze drifted across the sky. As I was enjoying a peaceful fall walk, the leaves crunched beneath my feet. On the path, the trees were bare. Crispy leaves were scattered across the neighbor’s lawn, with only a few blades of dead grass showing. The heat made my skin warm. The combination of the cool wind and the sun on my skin made me know autumn had finally arrived. The smell of apple cider greeted me inside when I arrived home from my walk around the neighborhood; the scent was refreshing.

There were only a couple of days left until Halloween so my family decided to carve pumpkins. Dirty orange pumpkins awaited us along with the shiny metal rough edged knives that were ready to make these pumpkins into their own special characters. Slippery goo spewed out from the inside: the goo was frigid and lighter than the outside of the bright orange vegetable. Once the slimy strings of gourd like squash were off of my hand and the inside was smooth, it was time to make the faces. They turned out great, but the whole ordeal made everyone tired. Weary, we plopped our three pumpkin creatures on top of the rough haystack outside on my front lawn. They made festive decorations. After dinner, we baked the crunchy pumpkin seeds. The seeds were dipped in butter and salt. They hit the spot.

Fall days continued, and Halloween was upon us. Trick-or-treaters started ringing the doorbell; that was the signal that it was time to start the night. Clusters of people- ghosts, witches, goblins, you name it- wandered around, chatting with excitement. The candy wrappers were crinkling and people were eating as much candy as they could stuff in their faces. It was a pleasant night out, but the brisk breeze reminded us winter was around the corner. The highlight of the night was a visit for my friends and I at the bonfire up the street. The scent of the fire reminded me of camping. Halloween was coming to an end so we reluctantly decided to stop by a few more houses. We headed home for a good night’s sleep, hoping all the sugar we consumed would not get the best of us.

Fall was coming to an end. I glanced outside my frosty window and saw fluffy menacing squirrels devouring the pumpkins. The pieces of rotten pumpkin were buried under the fresh light layer of crisp ice-like snow. This fall was full of many delightful memories. For now, I will have to let those memories go and look forward to all of the opportunities winter has to offer.

on Nov. 21 2009 at 5:55 pm
nice job keep up the good work

on Nov. 7 2009 at 2:26 pm
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Thank You!!!

Hannahd123 said...
on Nov. 6 2009 at 10:58 pm
u rock i luv this it is good i gove u an A+ keep up the good work!