Falling Leaves, Rising Snow | Teen Ink

Falling Leaves, Rising Snow

By rongw7 BRONZE, Flushing, New York
rongw7 BRONZE, Flushing, New York

The summer fruits fall to the ground with the green to gold leaves on the trees, and on rainy days they give off a faint smell of chestnuts that makes me feel peace and comfort. Wednesday night, I was walking home with my parents. The streets were adorned with a tapestry of leaves, each one a unique masterpiece painted. I randomly picked up one leaf that caught my eye. Its color was as bright as my aunt's famous pumpkin pie, a delightful treat reserved for the holidays. 

“I love the season so bad, the weather, the temperatures, and the best thing is I can eat a lot of Anna auntie’s delicious fruity pies, everything is perfect!” I took that leaf and trotted to my parents to show it to them. My mom just nodded, which was her way of responding to me. My father took the leaf away and put it in his hand 

“Why would you love this season, don’t you worry about school starting tomorrow?” He asked with curiosity. 

I shake my head. “ I love rainy days, just as much as I love these beautiful leaves.” 

“ Absolutely, but the rain is too cruel to these fruits and leaves that makes them can't stay in the trees but fall to the ground and people step on them.” 

While we were talking, there was a sudden gust of wind, and the leaf flew with it and disappeared into the air within seconds. I didn't think too deeply about my dad’s words.

Time always flies by. The sky was gloomy a moment ago, but now the sun rises. When the bell rang, my friend and I grabbed our bags and rushed out of the school gate to catch the bus first. A heavy rain on the way, without any preparation, the rain soaked all my clothes and water in my shoes made me realize that I don’t like rainy days, I just like watching the changing weather in a protected environment. Now I understand why my dad said that rain, while beautiful, is also cruel, throwing fruit and leaves to the ground.

Autumn is considered the shortest season among the four, but I love how every time a gentle rain falls on the plum tree in front of my neighbor's door, the ripe fruit drops to the ground. I always venture out on the weekend to pick one up. This week was different from the usual. The entire street was enveloped in red decorations, with light bulbs and socks hung early on the trees. Chimneys on the roofs and bustling gift shops all heralded the arrival of the winter festival. “I wonder when it will snow. I love building snowmen.” There is another reason - on snowy days, the school delays its start by two hours. If the snow accumulates to knee-deep levels, the school website announces the news of school closing.

“ Have you ever heard of throwing ice cubes in the toilet? This supposedly attracts snow.” One of my friends asked me.

That doesn’t sound very plausible. Does it really work?” 

To test this method, I actually dropped an ice cube into the toilet before going to bed, but, of course, nothing miraculous happened.

On a typical Friday after school, I went to my parents' workplace. My dad gave me ten dollars for lunch, and I chose to go to the McDonald’s not far from the shop. After I got my food and left, I stood in the parking area and felt the cold touch on my hand – it was snow. It finally started snowing, and it looked like I could wake up two hours late again soon.

In 2018, after I graduated from elementary school, I spent the whole summer break reading books and decided to write my own story. My first novel was published online in 2019, and that was the first official award I’ve received. Even from now on, I still publish my own writings online and I enjoy it. 

My hobbies were listening to music and spending time with friends. And my goal was one day publish my novel in paper versions.