Just swinging | Teen Ink

Just swinging

By 9CatsPerLife101 PLATINUM, Fairfax, Virginia
9CatsPerLife101 PLATINUM, Fairfax, Virginia

There’s something strange and magical about a swing set. As a child, I always loved to swing. Nothing on the playground ever compared to the swings. Sometimes I would close my eyes and let the cool breeze be my friend, seemingly helping me rise off the ground. And when I opened my eyes, I would see that the swing had carried me far beyond the playground, far beyond the grove of trees along the edge of the field, but I was never afraid. It was the only thing that could truly make me forget life and simultaneously make me alive.

With time, though, I outgrew elementary school and moved on. By then swinging was a mere ghost of a memory and was almost forgotten. Almost. The summer before high school, I revisited my old playground. Like an abandoned house, it had all the nostalgic memories of a previous home, and yet, I was drawn to only the swings. If there’s something strange and magical about a swing set, it’s because it’s never empty for long. The air was still as I got on, the metal chains never made a sound. Slowly, as I swung, I remembered, no, embraced. I embraced the cool wind on my face, the thrill of being weightless, the knowledge of being too high for any trouble to reach. And I embraced what it was like to be a child again. Sometimes I can still see that teenage girl on the deserted playground. Just swinging.

The author was inspired to write this piece when she realized that she was still very much a kid at heart.

Mrwowman said...
on Oct. 25 2021 at 4:58 pm
Mrwowman, Kent, Washington
this stuff was fire w to whoever made this

on Sep. 7 2021 at 10:02 am
devourerofknowlege, Waxhaw, North Carolina
Lol the last part confused me " I can still see that teenage girl on the deserted playground. Just swinging."

on Jul. 7 2011 at 6:54 pm
flyingpinkgiraffes, Chardon, Ohio

so true too.  

i can relate.  love swings.

AlizaO BRONZE said...
on May. 24 2011 at 9:28 pm
AlizaO BRONZE, Fort Lee, New Jersey

The future is called 'perhaps,' which is the only possible thing to call the future. And the important thing is not to allow that to scare you.

There's always that feeling that can't be put in words you get when you read something that explains just how you feel.  This piece was short and simple, but incredible.  I, too, have this sense of nostalgia when I think about swings.  Love this piece! :)    

hamilton said...
on May. 16 2011 at 12:55 pm
hey i think its very good. i feel the same way

on Mar. 10 2011 at 5:28 pm
i swing and listen to my ipod almost everyday.. it makes me daydream and feel emotions. i love it. sooo glad im not the only one..lol! (:

on Feb. 27 2011 at 6:53 pm
OriginalCarbonation GOLD, Naperville, Illinois

dream as if you'll live forever
live as if you'll die tomorrow

im really glad someone else feels the same about something as simple as a swing! this is exactly the emotions swings bring up with me. wonderfully done :)

sportsfan27 said...
on Feb. 25 2011 at 1:30 pm
very good story and great job describing how you feel going back to a child hood memory.

on Aug. 11 2010 at 8:45 am
DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey

Worry is simply a misuse of the imagination.

yeah... totally share that feeling.  except i liked the monkey bars the most.  what really sucks is that my school doesnt have recess.  i practicaly died when my friends told me.  a few days ago, i went back to my old school playground.  lots of memorys flooding back.  but when i tried the monkey bars, i practically jammed my shoulder.  i think the playground shrunk.  ;D

on Jul. 20 2010 at 10:29 pm
madmadie22 BRONZE, Wichita, Kansas

"It is quite unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person proving you wrong is proving himself wrongly right. Right?" Lemony Snicket, The Reptile Room

Wow, I loved this article! I'm starting high school next month (!!!) and I've been feeling like this a lot, lately.  I'm glad there are other people who feel the same :)

on Apr. 9 2010 at 11:55 am
terri hardiman BRONZE, Sedan, Kansas
I know how you feel..i still swing whenever i can..theres this wood like area w swings.i go there alot w my ipod and swing for hours.thinking about everything and all the things i want put cant touch

on Mar. 23 2010 at 9:05 pm
s.williams0823 SILVER, Wilmington, Massachusetts

"We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are dull, some are pretty, some have weird names, and all are different colors... but they all have to learn to live in the same box."
~Anonymous

wow, finally someone who feels the same! or i guess by looking at the comments, quite a few people feel the same. I used to love the swings, they made me feel free from all my troubles. And me and my friends still hang out at playgrounds and we're sophomores/freshmen in high school hahaha. Anyways, this was amazing. Keep writing like this :)

kellyisgr8 said...
on Jan. 30 2010 at 12:09 pm
kellyisgr8, Fairfax, Virginia
swinging gives me a high :D

kellyisgr8 said...
on Jan. 29 2010 at 12:41 pm
kellyisgr8, Fairfax, Virginia
so glad im nto the only one! my friends make fun of me for still goign to the playground lol

on Jan. 21 2010 at 5:10 pm
i love to swing and i think this is great!

on Jan. 20 2010 at 6:45 pm
same here gurlllllllll

on Jan. 20 2010 at 6:45 pm
aw you have no idea how great all thsi support feels like.

on Jan. 20 2010 at 6:45 pm
everyone's a kid at heart <3

on Jan. 20 2010 at 6:44 pm
thank you so much!

on Jan. 20 2010 at 6:44 pm
lol glad you like it!