Just swinging

There’s something strange and magical about a swing set. As a child, I always loved to swing. Nothing on the playground ever compared to the swings. Sometimes I would close my eyes and let the cool breeze be my friend, seemingly helping me rise off the ground. And when I opened my eyes, I would see that the swing had carried me far beyond the playground, far beyond the grove of trees along the edge of the field, but I was never afraid. It was the only thing that could truly make me forget life and simultaneously make me alive.

With time, though, I outgrew elementary school and moved on. By then swinging was a mere ghost of a memory and was almost forgotten. Almost. The summer before high school, I revisited my old playground. Like an abandoned house, it had all the nostalgic memories of a previous home, and yet, I was drawn to only the swings. If there’s something strange and magical about a swing set, it’s because it’s never empty for long. The air was still as I got on, the metal chains never made a sound. Slowly, as I swung, I remembered, no, embraced. I embraced the cool wind on my face, the thrill of being weightless, the knowledge of being too high for any trouble to reach. And I embraced what it was like to be a child again. Sometimes I can still see that teenage girl on the deserted playground. Just swinging.

flyingpinkgiraffesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 6:54 pm:

so true too.  

i can relate.  love swings.

AlizaO This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 24, 2011 at 9:28 pm:
There's always that feeling that can't be put in words you get when you read something that explains just how you feel.  This piece was short and simple, but incredible.  I, too, have this sense of nostalgia when I think about swings.  Love this piece! :)    

hamilton said...
May 16, 2011 at 12:55 pm:
hey i think its very good. i feel the same way

OriginalCarbonation said...
Feb. 27, 2011 at 6:53 pm:
im really glad someone else feels the same about something as simple as a swing! this is exactly the emotions swings bring up with me. wonderfully done :)

sportsfan27 said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 1:30 pm:
very good story and great job describing how you feel going back to a child hood memory.

DiamondsIntheGrass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 11, 2010 at 8:45 am:
yeah... totally share that feeling.  except i liked the monkey bars the most.  what really sucks is that my school doesnt have recess.  i practicaly died when my friends told me.  a few days ago, i went back to my old school playground.  lots of memorys flooding back.  but when i tried the monkey bars, i practically jammed my shoulder.  i think the playground shrunk.  ;D

madmadie22 said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 10:29 pm:
Wow, I loved this article! I'm starting high school next month (!!!) and I've been feeling like this a lot, lately.  I'm glad there are other people who feel the same :)

Terri H. said...
Apr. 9, 2010 at 11:55 am:
I know how you feel..i still swing whenever i can..theres this wood like area w swings.i go there alot w my ipod and swing for hours.thinking about everything and all the things i want put cant touch

Shwilliams_XD said...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 9:05 pm:
wow, finally someone who feels the same! or i guess by looking at the comments, quite a few people feel the same. I used to love the swings, they made me feel free from all my troubles. And me and my friends still hang out at playgrounds and we're sophomores/freshmen in high school hahaha. Anyways, this was amazing. Keep writing like this :)

kellyisgr8 said...
swinging gives me a high :D

liddle_countrygirl said...
so glad im nto the only one! my friends make fun of me for still goign to the playground lol

puppy-dog-eyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i love to swing and i think this is great!

xXLilyXx said...
I'm just a girl swinging.

9CatsPerLife101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 20, 2010 at 6:45 pm :
same here gurlllllllll

skylark888 said...
Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:05 am:
I completely understand. When I'm swinging, I also feel like I'm flyin.

ChocolateCherryKiss said...
this is really good. keep it up!

candybar2008 said...
you have no idea how well you write.

Jan. 20, 2010 at 6:45 pm :
aw you have no idea how great all thsi support feels like.

HorsesCANfly21 said...
i feel like a kid again!

Jan. 20, 2010 at 6:45 pm :
everyone's a kid at heart <3