Just swinging | Teen Ink

Just swinging

By 9CatsPerLife101 PLATINUM, Fairfax, Virginia
9CatsPerLife101 PLATINUM, Fairfax, Virginia

There’s something strange and magical about a swing set. As a child, I always loved to swing. Nothing on the playground ever compared to the swings. Sometimes I would close my eyes and let the cool breeze be my friend, seemingly helping me rise off the ground. And when I opened my eyes, I would see that the swing had carried me far beyond the playground, far beyond the grove of trees along the edge of the field, but I was never afraid. It was the only thing that could truly make me forget life and simultaneously make me alive.

With time, though, I outgrew elementary school and moved on. By then swinging was a mere ghost of a memory and was almost forgotten. Almost. The summer before high school, I revisited my old playground. Like an abandoned house, it had all the nostalgic memories of a previous home, and yet, I was drawn to only the swings. If there’s something strange and magical about a swing set, it’s because it’s never empty for long. The air was still as I got on, the metal chains never made a sound. Slowly, as I swung, I remembered, no, embraced. I embraced the cool wind on my face, the thrill of being weightless, the knowledge of being too high for any trouble to reach. And I embraced what it was like to be a child again. Sometimes I can still see that teenage girl on the deserted playground. Just swinging.

The author was inspired to write this piece when she realized that she was still very much a kid at heart.

kellyisgr8 said...
kellyisgr8, Fairfax, Virginia
Nice job, fluid writing style.

kellyisgr8 said...
kellyisgr8, Fairfax, Virginia
Dude I SO GET U!

I definitely understand this...FLYING feeling. Niceeeeeeeee

kellyisgr8 said...
kellyisgr8, Fairfax, Virginia
I think this is better than ok. I really like this!

kellyisgr8 said...
kellyisgr8, Fairfax, Virginia
this is ok.

kellyisgr8 said...
kellyisgr8, Fairfax, Virginia
dude this is wicked good.

KEEP ON WRITING!

kellyisgr8 said...
kellyisgr8, Fairfax, Virginia
This does bring back memories. Athough I can't say i was a 100% advocate of swinging, i can feel all the playground memories coming back to me.

kellyisgr8 said...
kellyisgr8, Fairfax, Virginia
5 stars. gr8 work.

kellyisgr8 said...
kellyisgr8, Fairfax, Virginia
i feel like a little kid again...eating wonderbread :]

kellyisgr8 said...
kellyisgr8, Fairfax, Virginia
This is amazing! This brings back memories of when I used to swing. I'll definitely go visit my neighborhood park and swing some.

Thank you so much for reading my article!

Hopefully more to come!

Ankav SILVER said...
Ankav SILVER, Somers, Montana
I loved that and completely understand. When I swing I like to close my eyes until I get to the top then open them so I can feel like I'm flying.