A Family in Prison This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

yoyoyoyoyiy said...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 1:42 pm:
he totally did it

dippydoo replied...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm :
no dip baby sherlock.

Incomprehensive replied...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm :
Is that honestly all you got out of this? This story is not about whether or not her father commited the murder. It was simply to express the way she felt, which she did a great job of. She explained the life of not having one parent for a reason other than what most expect.

Julie S. said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 9:26 am:
My dad is very important to me too and I would not be able through a day without him either. So I understand the feelings you are expressing.

RandyA. said...
Feb. 22, 2011 at 4:48 pm:
The good thing that makes your dad happy is.. you are safe with ur mom. i know the pain you are going through but be strong and positive. Your dad will be fine...

da writer said...
you and your family are really brave...stay strong, i hope you and your dad get united soon...your in my prayers :)

WriterFanaticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Everyone! Here is to all those innocents who are in prison! May they one day be free and the true murderers and rapists be locked away for ever

xelawriter97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I know exactly how you feel. But remember all the positives: you can still see him, you know where he is, and he's probably happy that you are safe with your mom.

I'll be hoping for you. Best of luck.

tenderheartx3 said...
I don't normally comment.. but this caught me off guard. Very well written.

xxbloodyroses66 said...
He WILL get out. truth will prevail. continue praying and hoping. you will be heard. stay strong.

aeadams73 said...
Jan. 31, 2011 at 8:38 am:
I just read a piece on a man who was in prison for 11 years before he was let out and found not guilty for crime he also did not commit, never give up hope. I believe that you should work with what you can and try to catch the man who really did it. Best of luck to you and your family. God Bless

jovis said...
Jan. 31, 2011 at 7:19 am:
OMG this is the saddest short story i have ever heard!!:(

LastChapter said...
this is the saddest piece i've ever read. i am so sorry.

RozaB said...
Oh, my. I'm so sorry. Gosh, for you to share this with the world...just good for you....Believe in miracles, though. They get people through the day sometimes, not to mention life. 

Aspiringauhor said...
Although sometimes I get mad at my dad for decisions he makes, I know he always means well and doesn't want his baby girl to be hurt in any way. I cannot imagine life without him. I am so sorry that you have to live this way. If I were you I would be leading a campaign against unfair trials. That is so horrible. I am so sorry. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

htrae22 said...
i had by dad killed my a murder i hope the best for you all

Sunshine67 said...
Thanks for sharing this. I wouldn't imagine life without my dad. He is my hero. Well I am praying that he gets parole or at least some how get out of prison. THnaks

Leann13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm so sorry for you... I honestly can feel from the things you wrote that he is innocent. You know in your heart he is, and so should every reader. You are an amazing writer and you give a lot of feeling to WHAT you write. I will pray for you and your family, but especially for your father. Please keep writing and keep having hope! :)

Ifeelurpayne said...
My uncle, who was very close to me, went to jail and was given a life sentance as well. But your father WILL get out. You just have to hope. The real culprit was caught after years of being forced to see my uncle in an orange jumpsuit. Your father is inncoent, and I believe it. Keep strong :)

Shrien said...
That was amazing! Good luck and keep strong! (:

pattyd said...

I am an adult now but grew up with a father who was in prison. Your story was honest and really touched me. It is so difficult because you know how much you love your Dad. I remember those visits and how much I looked foreward to seeing my Dad. Remember, Your father loves you even though he made some mistakes. People don't understand unless they have been there. Stay strong.

Patty