Fore! | Teen Ink

Fore! MAG

It was a hot, sunny summer afternoon. My sister Jodi wason the computer and my dad was doing yard work. My mom and I were in the yardpracticing golf. I had never golfed before in my life.

My mom went first.She lined herself up for her first shot and hit the ball. It flew really far andI could see she was pretty good. Then it was my turn. I reminded her I didn'tknow how to golf. She said, "Oh, I am sure you can do it," and took afew steps back.

I positioned my hands to hit the ball, and swung the clubaround like a bat (like I said, I didn't know how to golf). I hit something, Iknew that much, but I didn't see the ball take off. I looked down and the ballwas still there on the ground at my feet. I thought for a few seconds. Somethingisn't right. Then I glanced back, and my heart almost stopped. My mom waskneeling on the ground holding her head.

I ran to her and started crying.I felt so bad. I gave her a hug and kept telling her I was sorry. She said shewas fine, but I knew that wasn't true, and went to get my dad. Jodi came out andstayed with her. My dad put Mom in the car and drove away. I cleaned up the bloodand waited. I was so scared.

An hour later I was in the same spot, stillcrying. My sister called my grandma to come over. She was really worried but saidthings were fine. She played games with us and we watched a movie so we wouldn'tthink about Mom.

Finally we received a call from my father saying Momwould be fine. She had to have an operation and a plate put in her head. Thismade me feel even worse, but everything went fine. The doctor said she was luckybecause where the club hit was only an inch away from her temple. The ballprobably would have gone a mile if I had hit it.

Things could have beenworse, but it was still horrible. Mom had to stay in the hospital overnight. Theyhooked her up to monitors and did tests, but the next day she wasreleased.

When she came home, she walked over and gave me a hug. Her facewas wrapped up and around her eyes was black. I was shocked at seeing her likethat; I could hardly recognize her.

"I am so sorry," Isaid.

"It's not your fault. I'm fine," she replied.

I wasso happy she was okay. I don't think I will ever forget that day. Three yearslater, she still has a little scar, and every time I look at it I remembereverything. The doctor said the scar will never go away, so I am sure my momthinks about it a lot, too! I have never golfed since that day, and don't reallycare to, either.