A Family in Prison | Teen Ink

A Family in Prison MAG

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

RozaB SILVER said...
RozaB SILVER, Milpitas, California
Oh, my. I'm so sorry. Gosh, for you to share this with the world...just good for you....Believe in miracles, though. They get people through the day sometimes, not to mention life. 

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

Um, I mean no harm, but this person is going through so much right now. You really have no right to be asking that question. Would you want someone to ask that to you about your dad? I know I wouldn't.

Although sometimes I get mad at my dad for decisions he makes, I know he always means well and doesn't want his baby girl to be hurt in any way. I cannot imagine life without him. I am so sorry that you have to live this way. If I were you I would be leading a campaign against unfair trials. That is so horrible. I am so sorry. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

lollypops GOLD said...
lollypops GOLD, Pilot, Virginia

Live

i had by dad killed my a murder i hope the best for you all

Basketballlover67 SILVER, Sauk Rapids, Minnesota

a perfect world, when he's with her, he would be wishing he was with me; when he looked at her, he would be looking at me; when he smiled at her, his smile would be for me; when he thought about someone, he would be thinking about me. In a perfect world, he would realize that she wasn't the one he was supposed to be with and I would still be standing here waiting for him still when he finally knows this. But this isn't a perfect world and people do get hurt; you smile when you feel like crying; you act like you're okay when you're falling apart inside; and you let it go. You move on, because there's nothing else you can do." Author Unknown

Thanks for sharing this. I wouldn't imagine life without my dad. He is my hero. Well I am praying that he gets parole or at least some how get out of prison. THnaks

Leann14 GOLD said...
Leann14 GOLD, DeGraff, Ohio
really should!!! This article makes you feel inside that he is innocent! (I honestly believe he is, too, just by how you talk about him)

Leann14 GOLD said...
Leann14 GOLD, DeGraff, Ohio
I'm so sorry for you... I honestly can feel from the things you wrote that he is innocent. You know in your heart he is, and so should every reader. You are an amazing writer and you give a lot of feeling to WHAT you write. I will pray for you and your family, but especially for your father. Please keep writing and keep having hope! :)

Ifeelurpayne said...
My uncle, who was very close to me, went to jail and was given a life sentance as well. But your father WILL get out. You just have to hope. The real culprit was caught after years of being forced to see my uncle in an orange jumpsuit. Your father is inncoent, and I believe it. Keep strong :)

Alexa97522 GOLD, Portland, Oregon

With God, all things are possible. (Matthew 19:26)

I'm praying too. 

Shrien PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"When one door closes, another one opens"

That was amazing! Good luck and keep strong! (:

pattyd said...

I am an adult now but grew up with a father who was in prison. Your story was honest and really touched me. It is so difficult because you know how much you love your Dad. I remember those visits and how much I looked foreward to seeing my Dad. Remember, Your father loves you even though he made some mistakes. People don't understand unless they have been there. Stay strong.

Patty

Azrael BRONZE said...
Azrael BRONZE, Santa Ana, California

"To lie to him was to ruin him..." Schuyler Van Alen on Jack Force from the Blue Bloods Series by Melissa De La Cruz.

it took u so much bravery for you to write this and im giving you my blessings that a miracle will happen and your dad will be set free

on Dec. 18 2010 at 11:18 am
kitkat95 SILVER, Lake Worth, Florida
you are so amazing for writing this and i give you all the hope i have in my heart good luck and keep praying

on Dec. 18 2010 at 10:07 am
dancingintheflames GOLD, Kirksville, Missouri

She stood in the storm and when the wind didn't blow her away, she adjusted her sails<3

Yes I'll join your prayers! ;) I really enjoyed reading your touching story!

on Dec. 18 2010 at 8:55 am
SkyDeer PLATINUM, Mebane, North Carolina

Respect the nerds, they will be your boss someday- The Computer Guy.
The best is yet to come and baby won't it be fine- A band.
Defiant is the best word in the dictionary!

and I'm praying.

on Dec. 18 2010 at 8:45 am

Very sorry this had to happen to you. The writing is so descriptive it is a very good article.

oogensagen said...
on Dec. 18 2010 at 7:57 am
Wow! You are amazing what power your piece shows. My heart goes to you.

1234567890 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 7:45 am

THIS IS SUCH A TOUCHING STORY THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY DAY!!=]

I HOPE TO HERE MORE

fashionlover16 SILVER, New Gloucester, Maine

I honestly don't know what my favorite personal quote is. I can tell u what i like, if u want that. I really like the twilight series. whenever my mom suggests that we should go shopping, i light up. I love shopping. well thats about it, byez!!!!! <3

y?

BrookXoxo BRONZE, Andrews AFB, Maryland
Thats really really insulting to whoever wrote this piece, 'Luvtaylor16'