Mom, I’m Gay MAG

I remember that day when I proudly stated, “Mom, I’m gay.” I felt liberated - until I realized that she wanted to push me out of the car. Liberation, all right. Good thing I wasn’t liberated from my seat belt.

I’ve always been one to test the waters. Sometimes the outcome is good, like admitting I’m gay, and sometimes the outcome is tragic, like that haircut in third grade.

I decided to tell her that night because she was mad at me already. Yes, and my parents call me the smart child. I felt the need to test the limits again. Besides, how much deeper could I dig myself?

Well, it turns out, pretty far.

“Mom, I’m gay.”

The car swerved to the left. Honk. Then to the right. Beep. As she straightened out, I realized I had just blabbed the secret of a lifetime; some people keep this inside their whole lives while I blurted it out on a car ride to my therapist’s office.

“No, you’re not.”

“Yes, I am,” I responded, just for the sake of contradicting her. “Look, I’m going out on a limb to tell you. It’s not easy for me.” Well, there it was. It just came out. Once I got going, it was pretty easy.

“I just want you to be normal. Don’t you want to be normal?”

“I do! This has nothing to do with being normal!” An argument. Things were getting interesting.

“Then fix it. Don’t be gay!”

Oh, if I could have screamed, I would have! Fix it? There’s nothing to be fixed! Toilets need to be fixed! My sexuality? Nope! Being gay isn’t something I could do anything about. I was mad, so I huffed and puffed in silence as she drove, white-knuckled, down the highway.

At the therapist’s office, I bawled about how unlucky I was to have a mother who lacked understanding, was uncaring and was a bad driver. The therapist called my mom in, saying the three of us needed to talk. I sensed a fiasco.

Mom walked in with a fake smile. I wanted to tell her to wipe it off, but that wasn’t what we were here for. She sat next to me and I started analyzing her every move. Okay, she sat down next to me. That’s good. Extra long blink. Not good. She doesn’t even want to look at me. She’s shifting in her seat. She’s uncomfortable. Or maybe she’s trying to get closer to me. Or farther away.

“Hello? Earth to you, dear.”

“Umm.” Perfect. I felt like an idiot. My therapist was being paid huge amounts of money to hear me say umm and analyze my mother’s every move? I was so busy looking at my mom that I’d completely missed what my therapist had been saying.

“I think you know that Mom loves you no matter what. And Mom, this isn’t an attention thing. I’ve known this for a while. It’s no big secret.” Well, not anymore!

We went home that evening pretending nothing had happened. I was careful not to distract my mother.

And today? Well, we’re getting along. I’ve learned to love the fact that I like girls and am secure in my sexuality, I’ve been able to tell other people. I’m not ashamed anymore. It’s who I am. Just like I’ll always mismatch my socks, I’ll always have a weakness for underwear shopping and hazelnut coffee, and I’ll always like girls. My mother may not exactly love it, but she can deal. But just wait until I bring home my first girlfriend!

on Jul. 3 2011 at 2:21 am
Arluanna PLATINUM, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

“Mwahahahahaha! Now you are mine, Lesley-Bird, finally, at last, in my... oh, drat, forgot it had wings...”

-Phil, the youngest Kalins Uzin

That and the fact that writing is a way to release tension. I wrote a poem once (and published it anonymously) that told about a very hard time in my life. I decided to publish it because I wanted others to be able to draw courage from my experiences, and to know there's hope. I don't know if she wrote her story for the same reason, but I can definately relate.

Very well done. Congratulations on speaking up; your bravery is to be commended.

and if you want to see the article I spoke of, go here: TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/180866/Waiting-to-Let-Go/

on Jul. 3 2011 at 12:31 am
HanleyGrace GOLD, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter."
-Dr. Seuss

perfectly stated!

on Jul. 2 2011 at 7:15 pm
qwertyqwerty123 PLATINUM, Concord, California

"prey on the old and your a coward
prey on the young and your pathetic
prey on the weak and your even weaker
prey on my friends and your history"
- fearless: payback (book 6) by francine pascal

look, hart. im sick of your comments on this! you are totally posting your views on homosexuality, and this is not a place to do that. this is a place to give feedback to the writer on their writing. it's not an opinion article. just leave the topic alone because you are just acting like a jerk, not providing constructive criticism.

on Jul. 1 2011 at 8:48 pm
Alright. Rhi is not a place to have arguments about whether or not you like homosexuality or hate it or think God does or does nor like homosexuals or what you have it. This website is a place for people to express themselves to others. These comments are an opportunity to give writers constructive criticism, ways to improve their art, and compliments. Let's keep these comments serving the purpose they were created for.

on Jul. 1 2011 at 12:01 am
BorderlineGenius777 SILVER, Lewiston, Idaho

"If all our misfortunes were laid in one common heap, whence everyone must take an equal portion, most would be content to take their own and depart."- Socrates

good for you! i hope things between you and ur mother are still going well

on Jun. 29 2011 at 4:04 pm
I believe that people should be able to love who they want. People are people, we were made to love.  As long as there is love and happiness then the haters can go to ****! I'm not gay, but I have been best friends with a girl for 12 years. She is no different than anyone else. She just prefers girls. Good luck, and I hope you keep up the writing. :)

on Jun. 29 2011 at 3:04 pm
ashleyX13 PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee

"I've made mistakes; not one regret." Alyssa Nicolson

Wow, that is amazing what you did. I really respect you for the bravery and the fact that you published it. That is really great, I'm glad everything worked out.

seamuxfinny said...
on Jun. 29 2011 at 2:43 pm
seamuxfinny, Victoria, Minnesota

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

Wow, that was amazing. It was good that you came out, and I completely understand what it's like as I recently came out as bi to my mom.

on Jun. 29 2011 at 11:50 am
SaritaFajita BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

- In your anger do not sin.
Psalm 4:4

- "Love the life you live, live the life you love." -bob marley.

I admire your work and your bravery for putting it out there and being proud of yourself. You should NEVER be ashamed of who you are. Your mother still loves you no matter what and I hope things work out for  you! I wish it wasnt written annonomously though, because I would have LOVED to read your other work!

on Jun. 29 2011 at 11:28 am
GravityMcFalls GOLD, Katy, Texas

"The Patriot's blood is Freedom's seed." ~Thomas Campbell.

Wow! I admire your confidences, courage, and easiness in that situation! I'm not gay, or bi, but I respect their lifestyle choices and treat them nicely like I try to do to other people. And I have HIGH respect for YOU! You rule! : )

Celia PLATINUM said...
on Jun. 29 2011 at 9:33 am
Celia PLATINUM, London, Other

"When your life flashes before your eyes, make sure it's worth watching" - Unknown

I admire your courage and confidence. I hope things continue to get better with your mom. this was very well-written too! :)

on Jun. 29 2011 at 7:57 am
ChelseyChelsey SILVER, Morristown, New Jersey

Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live.
-Charles Bukowski

They've promised us that dreams can come true but forget to mention nightmares are dreams too - Oscar Wilde

I'm happy for you for coming out alot of my friends (girls) are gay too. I'm glad you were confident enough to come out. Good luck in life and God Bless You :)

Sunrise BRONZE said...
on Jun. 29 2011 at 6:46 am
Sunrise BRONZE, Ocean Springs, Mississippi

if you can not change something change your attitude.

Awesome article. Very well written. I have been back and forth on wanting to tell my dad that I am bisexual. I know it is serif for a chick, but my bestfriend is a Guy and he say I should tell him that he of all people would understand seeing as his bestfriend is a lesbian. Ether way Jessie is always there for me. What would the world do without best friends.

Sunrise BRONZE said...
on Jun. 29 2011 at 6:32 am

Y'all are just doing the same thing you are saying they're doing. But they are really just supporting the person the article is about. By using the Bible verse they is saying we should not judge the LBGT community. We really shoudn't judge anyone. The bible says for whoseever keepth the whole law and yet ofened in on point he is guilty of all.Thus we are all guilty of homosexuality . Well, I am bisexual already but still, the whole straight community is guilty.

Meerie said...
on Jun. 29 2011 at 5:38 am
I love your style, it truly gives an edge to your article! But I wish you'd have elaborated on how it worked out, because not only would it give us more good stuff to read but it's also what seems to be a main point in any "coming-out story". Yours seems far from the ordinary such story in its' voice, however, so congrats. (:

on Jun. 29 2011 at 3:17 am
cookie_monsta BRONZE, Santa Rosa, California

love is a hobby not a requirement to me

I want to tell my mother so badly that I'm bisexual. It's not with our religion though.(Christian) But can I really help it? This is beautifully written by the way. :)

Bucket GOLD said...
on Jun. 25 2011 at 1:39 am
Bucket GOLD, Hayward, California

" We carry guitar cases full of phobias hoping to turn fear into our strongest instrument.- Rudy Francisco

I truly applaud you for writing this!.. I've always pictured my coming out like this. Keep it up =)

on Jun. 21 2011 at 1:46 pm
SomethingLikeFire BRONZE, Mchenry, Illinois
1 article 1 photo 47 comments

"Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?" -
-- The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

good for you! you are who you are, you can't change it but you can accept it.

on Jun. 21 2011 at 1:39 pm
1 article 1 photo 47 comments

why shouldn't she write this? she did something that a lot of people will never have the guts to do. Why not be proud of it?

chel-z-boo said...
on Jun. 14 2011 at 9:38 am
chel-z-boo, Marietta, Georgia
I loved your article. Mainly because I know what it's like to have to face my mom and tell her about my sexuality. It was difficcult at first, but she finally came along. This piece was effective because i can relate. I loved that you appealed to the senses and that helped the piece be more visual. I absolutely loved it.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!