Hazing | Teen Ink

Hazing

By biancaf5 BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
biancaf5 BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts

Hazing laws should be enforced in all states.

Hazing is the imposition of strenuous, often humiliating, tasks as part of a program of rigorous physical training and initiation. Its often about having power and control. 1.5 million high school students are hazed each year, And more than half of college students are involved in hazing and do not report it.  It might be weird but, Most kids who are hazed knew an adult who was also hazed. Examples of hazing include total or partial nudity, shaving parts of the body, drinking or sexual activity. Hazing gets kids in a lot of trouble, it could get kids hazed injuries or death.This is exactly why hazing laws should be enforced in all states.

The first reason why we should enforce hazing laws is the number of injuries from people hazed. For example “Britteny Starling, former pledge of the Zeta Phi Beta sorority at University of California, Berkeley, “A girl was forced to be a Human mop and garbage can. She had to fall asleep while standing and couldn’t use the bathroom. Also, when her leg gave up a girl hit it, Britteny was severely injured. She sued the girls and the group was later shut down. This shows we need to enforce the laws because kids are getting injured and brutally tortured.

Going along with the injuries of hazing more importantly is the deaths from hazing.  Timothy piazza from Penn state was hazed and died February 4.  He dies from traumatic brain injury. From being forced to “guzzle alcohol.” A fall from down a set of basement stairs, and  boys just left him there alone to suffer. Around 82% of deaths from hazing include alcohol, Because of this we should enforce the laws because it shows its clearly not doing too much.

If you haze someone you could face school discipline such as a suspension or expulsion. Also jail time and fines to pay. The person you hazed could sue you and you put yourself in trouble for being kicked out or face the bad disciplines above. 40% of college students admit to knowing about a hazing activity going on and a coach/teacher was involved. This shows We should clearly be enforcing laws on hazing because the consequences.

In the future we should make sure we try our best to prevent hazing. By enforcing laws in all states we could reduce the power of the initiants, amend traditions, develop anti-hazing programs in all states, and share with other organizations to prevent hazing.