Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

By AlexM123 BRONZE, San Diego, California
AlexM123 BRONZE, San Diego, California

Imagine this: You’re walking home from school with a friend and a group of kids on the opposite side of the street start yelling rude comments and hurtful threats to your friend. “Why are they yelling rude comments to my friend?” you think to yourself. Your friend starts crying and this had angered you. What would you do? Would you go and talk to them or just ignore them? There is many ways to deal with bullying so it doesn’t ruin your life. I personally think the best way to overcome bullying is to speak up and rely on your own self confidence. 

One reason I think speaking up is the best way to overcome bullying because you can talk to people you trust such as adults/teachers or even your own peers. Before I begin my explanation, let me tell you what bullying is. Bullying is the use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants(“Google,”2016). For example, pushing, kicking, and  mean name calling. If you don’t speak out, you will keep getting bullied continuously. Nobody wants to get bullied right? Trusted adults can help with bullying because they can talk to the bully and see why they are bullying that person. Some people bully because they have something going on at home or they could victims themselves. Trusted adults can protect you throughout the situation. According to my research, “64% of children who were bullied did not report it; only 36% reported the bullying.(“reachout,”2014). Wow! Thats a lot of kids not reporting being bullied. If more kids reported bullying to trusted adults, then the rate of bullying would go down. Kids and teens may think they are snitching on another student, and other kids and teens might make fun of them(“Chron,”2016.) There’s a girl name Marisela and she got bullied because she was a quiet and shy kid so that made her an easy target. She was feeling depressed and stressed a lot, so she told her parents about the situation. Her parents talked to the bully and now her life is doing pretty good(“noplace4hate,”2016). See! Speaking up can overcome bullying. Furthermore, self-confidence can also overcome bullying.

I think relying on your self-confidence is another way to overcome bullying because the bully’s verbal or physical aggression won’t affect the victim and their self-confidence allows them to not be affected. The definition of self-confidence is showing poise and confidence in your own worth (“vocabulary,”2016). According to my research it says, “self confident people tend to see their lives in a positive light even when things aren’t going so well”(“inc,”2016). When people get bullied they are often scared and shy. But, when you use your self-confidence you won’t get affected because you are showing that you are a confident and strong person. If you don’t use your self-confidence the bully will see that you are a shy and scared person, which will make the bully keep wanting to bully you. Now, let’s talk about what other people think about bullying.

People who never been a victim of bullying would say that bullying is not a big deal. According to my research, it says “lack of attention from friends, parents, or teachers can make a person bully you, just to feel popular and seen as ‘tough’ or ‘cool’ and in charge(“eschooltoday,”2014). Basically they are not trying to bully, they just want to look cool and tough. Lets face it, everyone wants to look cool and tough? But bullying doesn’t help it. It just makes it worst. More than 160,000 kids stay home from school each day to avoid being bullied. That is a lot of kids who stay home from school to avoid being bullied. Plus it’s affecting their education because they are not going to school.

In conclusion, bullying can lead to many problems in life that can affect you. Speaking up to trusted adults can stop bullying because the trusted adults can talk to the bully and see why they are bullying that person. Self confidence can stop bullying because when you act confident, the bully knows you stand up for yourself which will make the bully  stop bullying you. Some people are not trying to bully they just want to look cool or tough. Nobody should ever get bullied. We should all treat people the way we want to be treated.

Work Cited

National Youth Violence Prevention Resource Center.”What to do if you are being bullied.”
  Reachout, March 11,2013. Web. May 5,2016.
   Us.reachout.com

Dana Guthrie.”Chron: 5 reasons kids don’t tell adults they’re being bullied.”
  Chron,February 25, 2013.Web. May 4,2016.

This is an argumentative essay about helping you deal with bullying