Ending Bullying | Teen Ink

Ending Bullying

By MeganRut SILVER, Hartford, Wisconsin
MeganRut SILVER, Hartford, Wisconsin

Our school has about 2,300 students. Each student is different--some are kind, chatty and open; others are not so much. Students start the bullying but also stop it. My school stops bullying before it happens by educating everyone with its clubs and positive students.

Our school prevented bullying through “No H8te” week. Sticky notes were decorated on every locker making each hall a rainbow of warmth. “You're the best,”  “You're one of a kind” and “You’re shining” they read. I walked past each one smiling and I could see others doing the same. It made me feel better and more open.

The clubs teach students life lessons against bullying. The Gay Straight Alliance enlightens student to the views of all genders and their identities, so everyone can understand each other. Best Buddies allows students to hang out and get to know those of us that are disabled. Key club raises awareness and SADD promotes the realization of other cultures. All these clubs help prevent students from becoming the bullier because we all understand each other.

Our school showed us to be open. My Friends and I understand that everyone is different, and accept people for who they are. I remember as a sophomore a new student was walking around in the lunchroom. My table called her over, “Do you want to sit with us?”

She smiled, and joined us. She may have talked with a southern accent and said different things from us but it didn’t matter. Soon Brooke was a friend of ours. Lunch is the time when students sit with their friends, and when I look around I don’t see anyone sitting alone.

A trend is to not accept bullying. Students don’t want to bully because the truth is, no one likes a bullier! We all have had some experience with a bully and we know its not right. My school does a great job preventing bullying.