The Fight Against A Tsunami | Teen Ink

The Fight Against A Tsunami

By Olivia27 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Olivia27 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

In a school with over 2,000 students, it’s hard not to see someone get hit by a tsunami. Waves of sorrow and dismay rush over people faster than Niagara Falls. What would a tsunami be doing in Wisconsin? What if I told you this tsunami affects all of us in our own ways--whether it be in the workplace, school, or even your own home? What if I told you this “tsunami” is bullying.

Every once in a while, I’ve seen bullying going on. Stupidly and selfishly, I didn’t do anything. But, after experiencing the aftermath of the disaster for two years, I will no longer standby. And my school has helped with that.

It began in December when our school began to send positive messages. Before our winterbreak, pieces of wrapping paper were folded and put in our locker doors. Within it, messages were written such as, “Happy Holidays” or “Hoping you get everything you ask for.” Then on Valentine’s Day, little paper valentines were taped to every locker. I got one that said, “I love you more brick loves lamp,” alluding to The Anchorman movie. Personally, it coerced a laugh of amusement out of me. That’s saying something since us teenagers are like coffee driven zombies in the morning.

Also, our booster club donated whiteboards. You would think, “Wow, that’s a terrible idea think of all the bad things students could anonymously do!” But, they have really been a sanctuary for quotes, messages, or any positive feelings you want to share. Members of certain clubs even write blurbs on information for different clubs where students can feel like they belong. Almost like an evacuation area for a tsunami. All of this just gives our school a positive, maybe even warm, feeling.

My school is fighting against the tsunami in our lives. No longer shall we let our students be demolished by it. We are “One Team” against bullying.