Stop the Hate | Teen Ink

Stop the Hate

Stop the Hurt

Is it seem right to stand by and watch someone get hurt? To get beat? Mentally or physically? It may not seem right, but let’s face it: most of us have done it at some point in our lives.  Maybe we haven’t directly seen a physical fight or seen someone verbally bullying with name calling and hurtful words, but almost all of us have seen or heard the bullying behind the scene -- the behind the back comments, the little side remarks, the barely noticeable glances. 
In my high school, you often don’t see fist fights or people with black eyes, but you do hear the rumors and gossip that can hurt someone just as much.  This is a different type of bullying; it’s not as obvious, it’s not as clear, but it can be just as hurtful.  So why? Why do we feel the need to talk bad about others? 
People who make the behind the back comments and side remarks are the ones who have been hurt by that person in some way, or want to seem ‘cooler’ by putting down others in order to make yourself look better.  But there is never an excuse.  There is never an excuse to say something hurtful towards others, there is never an excuse to hate. You can stop this behavior by not talking bad about others. There is no need to say things that you know would hurt the person if you said it to their face.
Everyone needs to learn that no matter what the situation and adding to the hurt is not a solution to the problem.  Hating a person doesn’t fix the problem, it’s just the easy way out.  Talking behind that person’s back doesn’t fix the problem; instead, it adds to it.  It makes you part of the problem.  Even people screwing up and doing the wrong thing does not give anyone an excuse to add to the hurt.  It doesn’t get anyone anywhere except in the wrong direction. 
Stop the hate. Stop the hurt.  There is never an excuse.