Labels | Teen Ink

Labels

By desicating_damsel PLATINUM, Plainfield, Illinois
desicating_damsel PLATINUM, Plainfield, Illinois

"I was always fascinated by people who are concidered completely normal, because I find them the weirdest of all."
Johnny Depp

People are constantly labeling everything, and everyone. Labeling things in a file cabinet is great because it helps you find paper work later. But labeling each other is wrong. The only labels we should have are the names on our own birth certificates. Labels are most common in schools. There are the ones who think they are better then everyone, and label everyone, including themselves. Stereo types can take over, and some people don’t care, but it can make another’s life a living hell.

Emo, Goodie-Goodie, Dumb Blonde, Goth, Teacher’s Pet, Junkie, Drug Addict, Wanna-Be, Social Outcast, Popular. These are all labels we give each other, even if they’re not true. Maybe you are a Goth, and you want people to know, because it’s how you express yourself. More than less, people are wrongly labeled, like when an ordinary girl is called a slut because of a rumor about her.

Emo. Self-harm isn’t a joke, but when you start it’s hard to stop, and most people won’t understand that, unless they have been through it themselves. If someone cuts themselves, think before you judge them. Think; what happened that would drive this person to slice their own wrists that they would willingly watch their blood flow from a gash they inflicted? Then think; If I go tell everyone would they hurt themselves even more? Would they commit suicide?
Goodie-Goodie. So you always follow the rules. You don’t like dangerous stunts, or taking risks. That’s fine, don’t let anyone change who you are. But if you’re walking around trying to make others act like you, then no one will want to be your friend. But a word of advice, if you follow every rule in the book, you are never going to experience true terror, or excitement. It’s like never going on a rollercoaster. Do you really want to be sitting in a nursing home when your old thinking; I wish I did that when I had the chance. NO!!! No one wants one wants to feel like that. Get good grade, become president, follow all the rules, be your parents perfect little angel, if that’s what you really want, then do it.
Dumb-Blondes. Ok so you might not have the highest IQ, but this is another stereo type that I really hate. No one is perfect, but for some reason, when people with blond hair mess up, or make a mistake they are labeled Dumb Blondes. Being blonde shouldn’t define you. It’s like saying Paris Hilton and Avril Lavigne are basically the same just because both of them are blond.
Teacher’s Pet. Do you ask a lot of questions in class? Do you act like better friends with your teachers then you are with your peers? If so then you are probably labeled as a teacher’s pet. If you’re a teacher’s pet, remember this; your teachers change every year, but the same peers are with you from pre-school until senior year of high school and, sometimes through collage.
Drug Addict. Have you ever done drugs, or do you just have a really weird reputation? Maybe you do drugs and you don’t care what the world thinks of you, well at least you have amazing self-confidence. And if you do want to stop doing drugs, it will hurt your pride, but you can go to support groups that will help you get through this hard time in your life.
Wanna-Be. Are you constantly changing who you are just to impress someone else? You are a wanna-be. People don’t like wanna-bes, because they don’t have a personality of their own and will basically mimic you just to try to impress you. This can be really annoying and will discourage people from wanting to be around you. To stop being a wanna be simply take time alone and try to “find yourself”. I’m told yoga and meditation is good for that.
Social Outcast. So you don’t follow the rules of society, congratulations, you are an individual. At least you aren’t a clone of a popular boy or girl, you have your own style express it, and if people won’t accept you for who you are, then they aren’t worth being with.

Popular. Popularity is when you are well known for something. So what are you popular for? Are you a book worm, an artist, a jock, a cheer leader, an author, an actor? Who knows maybe you have some hidden talent you don’t even know about. That is popular. But most people think of popular kids as evil mini dictators who can ruin your life. Kids think; well maybe if I hang out with the right people, I’ll be popular. Or If I have enough money and wear the right cloths they’ll like me. In school popular is determined by what you wear, who you hang out with, how many friends you have, and how much money you spend. The populars consider themselves high class and think everyone else is in a lower class because others don’t act, or look like them. At my school it’s hard to tell some girls apart. Do you really want to change everything about yourself for them to accept you, and then have people not being able to tell you apart?

Labeling each other is mean and shallow, and it needs to stop.

on Oct. 27 2013 at 10:54 am

Johnny Depp

yeah, but the people i hang out with now dont care about lables, i just needed to get this off my chest because one of my friends was being treated like dirt by people in our school and i was getting really pissed off because of it.

ShadowShark said...
on Aug. 11 2013 at 11:42 pm
were you ever bullied in school?