Twitter Takeover | Teen Ink

Twitter Takeover

By JohnnyM24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
JohnnyM24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Kevin Curwick is an 18-year-old from Osseo, Minnesota. There was a cyber bulling problem at his school this past year. So he created an anonymous Twitter account, @OsseoNiceThings, and says nice things about people just to give them a compliment.

He says he gets requests from people.

“People send me direct messages on twitter with a compliment for someone, and then I post them. I keep them anonymous. It’s cool, because obviously I don’t know everyone, but I get to learn about the underclassmen and their talents. You look at them a little differently in the hall, like ‘Wow, I never knew you were that good of a dancer.’”

He says his tweets have stopped negativity trough cyberbulling and in school.

“Using social media to compliment people has really made cyberbulling uncool. It takes the power and attention away from bullies. When I send out nice tweets, people re-tweet and “favorite” them four times as much as the negative ones.”
He likes to give advice to gets that get cyberbullied. He says, “Don’t respond. Instead, focus on your positive qualities. Find people who will support you and love you.”
He also says random asks of kindness on the Internet is a good way to use social media.
“Random acts of kindness work well on the Internet. So instead of looking through people’s pictures to tear them down, see it in a different way. Compliment them. And if you don’t have anything nice to say, just don’t say anything at all.”
Kevin Osseo has helped out social media in his school and the social media networks. He has set started a new path where people can just say nice things in school and on networks instead of saying nasty things.
“It would be cool to hand it down to another student who can carry it on. It can be anonymous again. And it can just keep going from there.”