Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

By Julia Stein BRONZE, Carversville, Pennsylvania
Julia Stein BRONZE, Carversville, Pennsylvania

Everything about people mystifies me, instead of goodwill and altruism people are only

concerned with themselves. I am not implying that I, myself, am any better than the run-of-the-mill

average human being. However, my problem is that I am aware of how horrible I am and how

disgusting human kind has become. Our obsession with perfection is especially amusing because

perfection is unattainable. Perfection basically means ‘without flaws’, but everyone has flaws; that is

what makes everything so perfect. If everyone on the planet were to believe during their moments of

pain and desperation: ‘Everything is perfect’ this moment will help me and teach me, give me

something I didn’t have before; many would be surprised how true it would be. Every painful moment

teaches us a lesson; however pain isn’t the only way to learn.

Compassion and empathy are the most preferable ways to learn hard lessons. When placed in

adversity you must go beyond your own pain to see the pain your adversary has absorbed. This is

easier said than done. This brings me to the topic of my paper: bullying; it is bad. It’s horrible; it

demonstrates that, sadly, the witch hunts of Salem, Massachusetts are still very present in our everyday

culture. As humans in this day and age, we are all paradoxes. We scream to the masses to be who they

are, we applaud Lady Gaga’s latest look, but the fine print of this contract was not examined. What we

mean to say is: “Be who you are, as long as you are just like me”. Although being different is no

longer blatantly fatal there is no doubt that is still kills. Instead of attempting to simply change

behavior, to stop bullying we must take a step further and try to change thoughts. We are not going to

change the way people behave, we need to change people’s thoughts so their actions follow suit.

I have been subject to bullying, but the words that bother me are not the ones directed at me,

but those directed at my friends. And it hurts me at this very moment that a few seats away from me

those people who have harassed my friends and I are writing this very same essay and boasting how

they will win. My point is to say that I know that seeing the pain in others and ignoring your own is

not an easy task, but I hope that someone out there is willing to take on the challenge.

To end this in a style that truly reflects me, here is a poem:

I know your type,

You’re hurt but you won’t admit it.

I can see it in your eyes

As the fists rain down upon me.

I will suffer,

I will take it,

Your pain.

But we know it will not make it better.

You have been told:

“violence won’t solve anything”

only make eyes wetter…

You wish it could.

But

It

Won’t.

MorenSore SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Liberty is not the power of doing what we like, but the right of being able to do what we ought."
~Lord Acton

I hear you. sometimes i get picked on and pushed around, but im strong i can take anything that they throw at me. My problem is that, just like you, i can't stand the fact that bullying hurts people i care about, or even people i don't. You just have to stand up, when you said we have to change thoughts. when i run threw sunarios in my head my process is always what they will think, and i how i can prevent further bullying then just doing it once, the next time i might not be around.