Words can make you stronger. | Teen Ink

Words can make you stronger.

By Inariwriter BRONZE, Niles, Illinois
Inariwriter BRONZE, Niles, Illinois

The pen is mightier then the sword.

Have you ever felt like no one was at your side? You felt so vulnerable and helpless? Hi. My name is Avery Gale. Just your average 17 year old. 5ft3, dark skinned and with freckles. My eyes are dark brown and long, curly black hair. I also wear glasses. Perfect person for picking right? It doesn't help that I am not big breasted. Ever since I was a freshman, I have been picked on. It got worse as I went up in grades. Everyday I went to school, it was just horrible. People say fight back but what's that going to do? Nothing. Let me explain how bad it is. As soon as I walk down the hallway, the popular girls started to insult me, yelling out things such as "Look at the girl with no boobs!" and "She practically looks like a boy!" The boys were worse. "Hey Avery! Where did your boobs go!? Oh wait, you didn't have any to begin with!" To make matters worse, the jocks tossed water on me, revealing my insecurity. I even talked to the principal about it. All he did was put up a rule, saying don't pick on people. Like they are going to obey that!

I have dealt with this since Freshman year. 4 years of school torment. I started to think of ways to fight back. And I remember hearing one thing. Actions speak louder then words. So, I brushed off there comments. I graduated high school with a GPA of 4.0, went to a amazing college and perused what I wanted to be. A writer. I got my degree in journalism/creative writing, sold my books, and became a New York Times Bestseller. Now, being 35 years old, I am walking into my school reunion, tall, sexy and glasses free. My breast grew, making me even more appealing. I grabbed my name tag and slipped it on. I peeked out of the ballroom door, looking at my classmates. The popular girl's had botox up the wazoo. The jocks had pot belly stomachs. I stepped into the room and all eyes were on me. Everyone was shocked and stunned by the sight of me. At that moment, I learned something. What doesn't kill you can make you stronger. And that goes for you guys and gals out there, who are always picked on, you don't have to fight back. Actions speak louder then words. So, brush off those nasty words and insults. Because no matter what, your all beautiful.