Stand Up

By Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois
Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois

"Unicorns and glitter!" -Flo

Bullying. A word almost every kid dreads. They dread being the outcast. The reject. The person everyone bullies. The loner. Not being good enough or not meeting someone’s standards. Some dread it so much, they take their own lives. A tragic way to die.
If only the teachers had seen it sooner. If only the parents knew. If only the victim spoke up.
Statistics show in 2011 that 60% of middle school students say they have been bullied. Only 16% of staff believed that students had been bullied. They also say that over 160,000 stayed home from school to avoid bullying. 20% of high school students said they had thoughts of committing suicide in the past twelve months in 2011.
In my opinion, these numbers are too high. What can we do to stop bullying? There are numerous ways to prevent bullying.
Statistics show that over 50% of bullying decreased if the school had an anti-bully program running. If every school had an anti-bully program running, it might reduce the percentage of bullying. It would show the bullies how much they hurt the person who they were bullying.
It would also be more helpful if teachers kept an eye on students at all times. Many bullying cases occur on the playground or at passing time. Only 25% of bullied students said that teachers intervened a bullying incident; while 71% of teachers said they intervened a bullying incident.
Another way is to talk to the bully or stand up to them. Tell them how much it hurts when they call you names or physically hurt you. Try to help them understand bullying isn’t cool. Most likely, they bully just to impress their friends.
Tell a teacher or trusted adult. It’s one of the most commonly known ways to stop a bully from bullying you. Don’t worry; you won’t be a snitch or tattle-tale. Tattle-telling is when someone purposely tells on someone to get them in trouble. Just telling a teacher or trusted adult the situation is perfectly fine. It will help you in the long run.
Don’t just sit on the sidelines and watch bullying. Stand up for the bullying victim and let them know they won’t be alone.
Bullying is never, nor will it ever be, a tolerable matter. Together we can stand up to bullying and make it disappear. Poof!

Just a thought on bullying.

mplo said...
on Dec. 4 2015 at 1:11 pm
You're right, SuPerGottaAbeNovelist22. Moreover, people who are bullies as children/adolescents often (although not always.) become adults who bully as well.

on Dec. 3 2015 at 2:58 pm
Trench_Coat BRONZE, PERU, Indiana

"Promise me you'll survive.
That you won't give up,
no matter what happens,
no matter how hopeless"- Titanic

It usually never does.

on Dec. 3 2015 at 2:58 pm
Trench_Coat BRONZE, PERU, Indiana

"Promise me you'll survive.
That you won't give up,
no matter what happens,
no matter how hopeless"- Titanic

Bullying is like grief weighing you down. It hurts. So yeah be scared.

on Dec. 3 2015 at 2:56 pm
Trench_Coat BRONZE, PERU, Indiana

"Promise me you'll survive.
That you won't give up,
no matter what happens,
no matter how hopeless"- Titanic

I was bullied and never had the guts to tell, until I did. It got worst. Bullies do crazy things like shove you into lockers, spread rumors, or corner you and spit on you. They do these things. They did it to me. I regret not standing up and telling a teacher. With me just doing it by myself, wasn't smart.

mplo said...
on Sep. 24 2015 at 5:23 am
Unfortunately, however, ignoring or walking away from the bully, or even getting help doesn't always work. It can depend on the situation, however. It's good for a kid to also learn some type of self-defense, in the event that the bullying turns physical, so that if worst-case scenario (i. e. nobody being around at the time to stand up, or help is not readily available, such as after school, at a bus-stop, or on the way to or from school, for example.) comes up, s/he will be able to take care of him/herself as a last resort, if one gets the drift.

mplo said...
on Sep. 4 2015 at 2:12 pm
Unfortunately, however, sometimes just simply telling the bully how it feels to be bullied fails to work. A somewhat stronger response, such as telling the bully where to get off can be a more affective way to respond, and get him/her off your back.

on May. 17 2015 at 8:31 pm
the person who wrote the first comment is saying that those aren't true

Helper said...
on Apr. 22 2015 at 3:16 pm
They are obviously fake. Nobody would ever do that. Don't ever worry about it, plus nobody would go to your house and do that. Just tell the bully how bad it feels to be bullied. Stay strong!

CatGopher98 said...
on Apr. 15 2015 at 6:19 pm
I was cyberbullied online, and I was receiving death threats

said...
on Mar. 23 2015 at 5:01 pm
Yeah right so Kathy is going to kill me out of know where yeah right

on Mar. 16 2015 at 2:55 pm
liveYOURlifeandloveit BRONZE, Spring City, Pennsylvania

"You may have won the war, but you will never take my crown." -Ronnie Radke

You should be scared.This is serious

on Mar. 16 2015 at 2:55 pm

I completely get it. Bullying is hard, and it hurts.

HI peeps said...
on Feb. 6 2015 at 10:31 am
How come i didn't die?

detfaninwi04 said...
on Jan. 27 2015 at 10:40 am
this is not true

blahblah said...
on Dec. 12 2014 at 11:01 am
this stuff its obviously fake and scary tho i was forced to read this by a "friend"lol but im not scared

TOBILOVER101 said...
on Oct. 16 2014 at 10:59 am
I've been bullied over the past few years. A way to prevent bullying from happening is to walk away,ignore,or get help! If you're a friend don't be a by-stander be an up-stander!

anonymus said...
on May. 26 2014 at 9:57 am
I think that your essay is really good, it has a lot of good information. I take your personal opinion, but, I think that you are saying somethings that are really inocent. I mean, yuo should stand up tu the bullys, but is not that easy, you feel ashemed, yuo feel you deserved it, or you could feel that way.   I would also like to know what kind of anti-bullying program you are talking about

Mike said...
on Mar. 20 2014 at 10:49 pm
My opinion or should I say my agreement is right with you. People should understand, mainly the staff and parents to know the changes of their child
especially when they are being bully. Worrying about being a snitch while someone is being harmed is worse when you know that you could have helped the victim. So thanks for reading.

2write said...
on Mar. 20 2014 at 5:38 am
2write, Dededo, Other

" I wasn't built for conformity, I was born to stand out from the crowd"
" In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took but how many moment tsook your breath away:"- Chinese man
"I have tried, in my way, to be free."-Leonard Cohen

Instead of spreading things like this,: ONCE YOU'VE STARTED READINGTHIS YOU CAN'T GET OUT! READ ON IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DIE A year ago A girl named Kathy was hated by everyone. Everyone made fun of her. She was ignored. Even by messages. One day she decided to kill herself. Beca......use..................... even her parents ignored her. She jumed out her window. No one noticed utill people started dissapearing. Kathy haunted them. She made them suffer like the way she did. She hung them slowly and stabed them over and over very slowly so they could suffer like she did.
If you don't send this message to 15 diffrent comments you will die tonight by Kathy. Because she considers it ignooring her.
Example 1:
Dave looked at the first sentece and said, "Spam" And the next day the neighbors found him in his backyard, dead.
Example 2:
Joane was alone. She didn't have kids or a husband. She had alot of friends. When She had a sleepover with them she quickly had to check her e-mail.She saw this message and sent it to only 6 people because she thought she couldn't die that night beacuse she was surounded by people. The next morning Joane's friends found her in her bathtub, dead.
If you don't send this, Kathy WILL find yo

we should be sharing a message of peace and love.Never hurt someone for your own gain. How you treat someone should not depend on anything except the old Golden rule of treating others as you would like to be treated. We are human beings, not instruments of cruelty.‪#‎anitbullying‬ * I hope you don't mind if I post this, I chose to do so in hopes that you spread the message. 

Bluekit GOLD said...
on Aug. 1 2013 at 10:26 pm
Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois

"Unicorns and glitter!" -Flo

Aw, thank you! :)

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!